England v Australia | 1st Test - Day 2 | Cardiff | 9/7/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it freddie - COme on England!

it looks as though Hughes is gonna struggle throughout this series - physcological chink

Broad's pace increase has been astonishing - 91/92mph nowadays even with the red ball.

Flintoff earned that wicket, he really worked Hughes over and then finally got him out.

Some hard-work and homework needed by Hughes to combat freddie for rest of the series.

must admit with fredie being the go to man - there's only so much he can do - strauss will need to watch the workload

scoring rate should dip now - and it has

I think Strauss is missing a trick here - Ponting should face the offspinner before he gets set.

Taurus said:
Broad's pace increase has been astonishing - 91/92mph nowadays even with the red ball.

Just curious and educate me - Does the white ball travel faster?

good over from swanny

(why do england nciknames end in "-y" i.e cooky, straussy, monty, freddy, colly, silly)

KA$H said:
good over from swanny

(why do england nciknames end in "-y" i.e cooky, straussy, monty, freddy, colly, silly)

Laziness - lack of imagination. I like the Aussie nick names.

Oxy said:
Laziness - lack of imagination. I like the Aussie nick names.

what like punter - is that short for something like prostitute hunter?

anyway back to england nicknames - there's also: Matty(prior), Stewie or Broady, Jimmy, Vaughny - jeez the list goes on

hold on! Oxy - are you english?

and lol@belly

Ozzy 100 up

Last edited:
Just curious - I know some of the Pakistani nick names - Inzy and Saqi.

But was Waqar referred to as "Waqi" and Akram as "Akki"?

dani2k said:
Just curious - I know some of the Pakistani nick names - Inzy and Saqi.

But was Waqar referred to as "Waqi" and Akram as "Akki"?

Waqar was referred to as Wickey I think , Don't know about akram..........maybe he didn't liked nicks :wasim

now I've just hypothetically checked this in my head but isn't the oxford dictionary definition of a punter is someone who frequents "ladies of ill repute" or is a patron of a brothel

seriously i wonder how ricky got that nick?

^^ Wicket was an apt nick! I guess later Wasim was called as "Waz" atleast by ESPN sports. They had a "Shaz and Waz" show when India toured OZ in 2003-04.

KA$H said:
now I've just hypothetically checked this in my head but isn't the oxford dictionary definition of a punter is someone who frequents "ladies of ill repute" or is a patron of a brothel

He used to be a bad boy in the past :akhtar

KA$H said:

I thought Punter was somebody who gambles a lot..

dani2k said:
^^ Wicket was an apt nick! I guess later Wasim was called as "Waz" atleast by ESPN sports. They had a "Shaz and Waz" show when India toured OZ in 2003-04.

who was the Shazzer?

Ravi Shastri?

Wassixpakistani said:
He used to be a bad boy in the past :akhtar

Must get my glasses checked cos i read that to be that he used to be THE bad boy in the past

not like our :akhtar "Captain Genital Warts" :akhtar

124/1

KA$H said:
Must get my glasses checked cos i read that to be that he used to be THE bad boy in the past

not like our :akhtar "Captain Genital Warts" :akhtar

124/1

Well No one can be bad like :akhtar

Its quite amazing how Ponting has changed himself into what he is today :D , Unlike :akhtar he cares about his career

dani2k said:
I thought Punter was somebody who gambles a lot..

apparently its also "a beginner skier or snowboarder, especially one with particularly bad style"

lol@teh bad style -is that Michael Jackson "Shamone" Bad? or just plain bad bad?

anyway still 124/1 - like watching paint dry at the moment - only with teh aid of a refresh button

Ricky was the Roy of old. He had drinking and attitude problems early in his career and had to be disciplined by CA.

To guys who are watching the proceedings on TV..are OZZies handling spin well or are they struggling?

dani2k - disciplined for his penchant (pronounced Paah SHhan) with the dominatrix - i meant domination?

126/1 (36 overs blah blah blah)

Broad to Ponting, 2 runs, and appropriately Ponting brings up his 11,000th run with a pull, swivelled around towards fine leg

Ponting acknowledges the applause of his team-mates and the Cardiff crowd. It's a terrific achievement, only three others have reached 11,000 runs in Tests - Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara and Allan Border, and Ponting's average is the best of them. He needs 174 more to beat Border's Australian record, so it should happen within the next couple of matches.

Aus 128-1 after 37 overs - trail by 307
34 overs left today

Well done Ricky on the 11k runs

what a player! What a skier with bad style

^^ No..he was supremely talented and CA knew it. But he was a difficult person to manage (ala Akthar) and had to be dropped from the team temporarily. I guess during his tour to India in 2001 he was freshly coming out of all the disciplinary measures. Didnt do too good then, but CA persisted with him and reaped the rewards.

Of course Ricky was willing to change himself and got rewarded for that too..captaincy!

a FOUR!! Finally!

was beginning to think this was a test match or something!

wait for long enoyugh and then 2 come along

137/1

Ozzy's session

Katich gets his 50 well played

i once heard Steve Waugh say that Katich had something of the Mongrel abt him - That's a kind of compliment in Australia

Therefore I can totally understand (and justify) my confusion on the punter definition - maybe its someone who takes a chance but still is bad at snowboarding - i dunno?

AND THATS LUNCH - 142/1 - Ozzy dominatrix

Fish...I have described Ricky (early in his career) to the best my memory serves me...Is that accurate or are there factual inaccuracies?

KA$H said:
Katich gets his 50 well played

i once heard Steve Waugh say that Katich had something of the Mongrel abt him - That's a kind of compliment in Australia

So what is "Pup" then ? :)

Aus 142/1 at Tea

Barring Flintoff the England attack really has struggled to make an impresion

ok last session of the day- the game has to see-saw back in England's favour or I'm taking my toys home

and a pup is a young member of the Pinniped (seal) family and also of some otters, specifically the Giant Otter, Marine Otter, and sea otter

KA$H said:
and a pup is a young member of the Pinniped (seal) family and also of some otters, specifically the Giant Otter, Marine Otter, and sea otter

Geez...I thought Clark was named so since he was "supposedly" cute. Seals and Otters arent that cute IMO!

KA$H said:

He enjoys having a bet on the horses. A punter in Australia is someone who enjoys a good wager.

Back to the Test, we're in a good position so far I reckon. We need one of these blokes to go on and make a big score, then we'll be in really good shape to try and force a result.

^^ That makes sense..may be my guess that a Punter was a gambler was slightly of the mark. But one who bets (or punts) makes sense..

OZGOD said:
Back to the Test, we're in a good position so far I reckon. We need one of these blokes to go on and make a big score, then we'll be in really good shape to try and force a result.

OZGOD I asked this to you yday but guess you were offline then. What is your prediction for the ashes this time? Do you agree with Pidge?

Too much dependence on Fred to get another wicket! Why are the others bowling then?

I'm going to the ground - see if I can watch the last 30 mins from that little gap behind the River Taff End :)

I'll give you all a wave if the camera points at me :)

dani2k said:
OZGOD I asked this to you yday but guess you were offline then. What is your prediction for the ashes this time? Do you agree with Pidge?

I replied lol. 2-1 to us.

dani2k said:
Fish...I have described Ricky (early in his career) to the best my memory serves me...Is that accurate or are there factual inaccuracies?

Ponting did start off on the wrong foot with his disipline off the field but they were mostly blown way out of proportion and as the years have gone by and the stories have been twisted a bit. Ponting made a mistake or two got over it and got on with his cricket but some others have never got over it.

To give you an idea of his status now he has been Australias most marketable sportsman for the last three years running and ranked 34th as Australias most trusted person.

^^ Sorry I missed it. Your prediction looks fair. Pidge was greedy :)

Fish said:
Ponting made a mistake or two got over it and got on with his cricket but some others have never got over it.

Yup...Credit where it is due. He is a rarity among the erstwhile problem childs..

as an opposing captain you've got to add 3 wkts to teh scoreline - that way 163/4 aint that bad - the problem right now is teh hell are those wkts gonna come from?

time to start sucking those sweets and bring out some serious reverse swing methinks

Fish said:
Pup is a very young dog, Clarke picked up this nickname because of his young age.

That is the classic definition...but Ka$h's introduces a new twist? (Otters and Seals and what not?!) :po:

KA$H said:
time to start sucking those sweets and bring out some serious reverse swing methinks

I guess the Aussies would be careful now. Looks unlikely! :))

so how did you decide on the "Fish" nick then?

don't tell me you like Marillion

167/1 - and there's another 4

Aus 163/1 and building solidly, England need a wicket and it doesnt matter how it comes.

dani2k said:
That is the classic definition...but Ka$h's introduces a new twist? (Otters and Seals and what not?!) :po:

In Ireland a "pup" is also known as a variant of Lemon (as in, sold a pup)

dani2k said:

Its not so much what animal you describe as a pup but it is common to call the youngest person pup. Its just a way of aknowleging he is the youngest. (well he used to be)

KA$H said:
In Ireland a "pup" is also known as a variant of Lemon (as in, sold a pup)

Wah! My stint at PP is helping me increase my English knowledge as well! Thats an odd name to call a lemon though :13:

^^ Wait..let me think..Is lemon called a pup cos its the smallest among the citric fruits (Dani ..u genius!) :D

KA$H said:
so how did you decide on the "Fish" nick then?

don't tell me you like Marillion

167/1 - and there's another 4

I used to have a business where I sold fish.

Ok guys...gotta go home (in office now). C ya 2morro!

Good luck for the game Fish!

see, this is what happens when you bowl to west indies/new zealand too much, broad has impressive bowling average it was almost 50 when he played south africa

Go Aussies! Make 700 and then bowl them out for 150.

5-0 is coming.

Redflair07 said:
So Krapich isn't that Krap after all. Where's RA when you need him?

He is busy trying to put out the burning effigy of Ponting he set fire to earlier. :))

Redflair07 said:
So Krapich isn't that Krap after all. Where's RA when you need him?

Sun shines on a dog's **** every so often I guess. But we need him and Dubya to keep it going till stumps. The way they're going it's a shame they can't keep on batting, all the way through to midnight tonight :D

OZGOD said:
Sun shines on a dog's **** every so often I guess. But we need him and Dubya to keep it going till stumps. The way they're going it's a shame they can't keep on batting, all the way through to midnight tonight :D

And we see more and more sun shines these days!

whatever said:
And we see more and more sun shines these days!

He still can't bat, can't bowl, can't field, can't run between wickets, throws like a girl, can't hit the stumps from 2 feet away and has a funny looking head. At least he's performing though :D

brilliant batting display by pontin and katich, both of them should make centuries, keep the english on field make them tired and then bowl them out, dont wanna see any more adds of 2005 ashes winning team or 2009 ashes winning team. :pissed:

OZGOD said:
He still can't bat, can't bowl, can't field, can't run between wickets, throws like a girl, can't hit the stumps from 2 feet away and has a funny looking head. At least he's performing though :D

Please remove that bias glass and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back