England v New Zealand | CT 2009 | Johannesburg| 29/9/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIG

PakPassion Administrator
Runs
Weather not looking good for today - Lets see if England can continue on their unbeaten record.

England vs New Zealand, ICC Champions Trophy, 2009: September 29, 2009

Venue: Wanderers

Stats say: (last five completed matches, most recent first)

England - WWWLL
New Zealand - WLLLW

England Squad [Unconfirmed]
AJ Strauss*, JM Anderson, RS Bopara, TT Bresnan, SCJ Broad, PD Collingwood, JL Denly, EJG Morgan, G Onions, MJ Prior†, AU Rashid, OA Shah, RJ Sidebottom, GP Swann, LJ Wright

New Zealand squad [Unconfirmed]
DL Vettori*, SE Bond, NT Broom, IG Butler, BJ Diamanti, GD Elliott, JEC Franklin, MJ Guptill, GJ Hopkins†, BB McCullum†, KD Mills, JS Patel, AJ Redmond, LRPL Taylor, DR Tuffey

Match scheduled: Hours of play (local time): 14.30 start, First Session 14.30-18.00, Interval 18.00-18.45, Second Session 18.45-22.15

Toss :

Attachments

• 29Sepweather.JPG
    29Sepweather.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 115
Still quite cloudy according to weather sites... looks like a D/L scenario to me

If the weather is cloudy, the ball will seam around at Wanderers and there is a huge chaance that the man to watch will be Mills and Jimmy Anderson.

And if the game gets abandonded, its Bye Bye Sri Lanka. (Man this feels odd, for the 1st time after 99 we are waving other teams Bye Bye while we are in the Semis :p )

Yeah but I think the forecast has been like that a few times and apart from yesterday (where there was a big chance of rain) it hasnt really come.

What is this?

After India almost ou of the CT Star Cricket has not yet started the build up programme to the game.

Nick Knight thinks its a bowl 1st wicket.

Last edited:
Kiwis have won the Toss and will bowl 1st.

Bad bad for Sri Lanka.

I think the rain might win this in the end... curtains for SL ;(

But seriously, any team that loses to England and New Zealand in consecutive matches don't deserve to go any further in any meaningful tournament.

Great great ball to dismiss Strauss! Mills strikes 2nd ball

0-1

Oxy said:
Great great ball to dismiss Strauss! Mills strikes 2nd ball

0-1

Excellent they are winnign and all but they need to be knocked back down. Plus I don't fancy our chnces vs SL in semis, I rather we face Eng or NZ.

10-2

Now Bond sends Denly's stumps back to Kent!

Perfect pitch for Bond to get bag himself a fifer . NZ better restrict England to at least 150-180 . A target of 200 would be too much pressure for their fragile batting line-up and when England have bowlers like Anderson then it would be hard to avoid an embarrassing collapse .

A Eoin Morgan blitz would be needed in the end to get a suitable score if it continues like this .

England back to their normal ODI form!

3 down!

Bond does it again

Pak V Nz could be a grudge match based upon Vettoris comments about Guls reverse swing.

And England's Titanic has struck an Ice-burg . They are sinking , Bond the man again to get the breakthrough . Shah goes .

MIG said:
Pak V Nz could be a grudge match based upon Vettoris comments about Guls reverse swing.

And judging from Gul's current form . I definitely don't want him to face the Kiwi batsman , especially Vettori :D .

Well the Kiwis will need to bat against Anderson on this very pitch.

Morgan needs to go into a defensive mind-set , that will help him a lot right now .

Block the remaining 5 overs so and search for only singles .

Huge appeal for lbw but it seemed just a tad high, bond bowling real well here.

Edged this time ad falls short of 1st slip. Morgan just dropped his hands on that shot which saved him.

Pak must win against Aus to avoid playing our semi final at Wanderers

England 16/3 (7.0 ov)
New Zealand

WHAT THE FISSSSSSSSSSSSH ***

Afridi_Fan said:
I want us to win tomorrow, don't want to play a semi here.

You know , we have Asif now and in these conditions the opposition should be fearing us more then we fear them .

Wassixpakistani said:
You know , we have Asif now and in these conditions the opposition should be fearing us more then we fear them .

And who will bat agaionst a seaming and swinging ball of lets say Anderson and Co?

Afridi_Fan said:
And who will bat agaionst a seaming and swinging ball of lets say Anderson and Co?

If we get out for 80 then I have no doubt we will demolish the opposition for under 50 :) .

Such is my faith in these 2 :asif :aamir

The kiwis have a good record against Pakistan in CT so i wouldnt fancy playing them in the semis!

The Irish man is playing good here . He better build up the anger and then let it all go when England are looking in a better Position than this .

Amjid Javed said:
The kiwis have a good record against Pakistan in CT so i wouldnt fancy playing them in the semis!
You can see it in this way that Pakistan have good record against kiwis in semi finals

Amjid Javed said:

But remember the Overall Semis record between Pak and Nz :) .

Amjid Javed said:

Have to face then Anderson in Jo'Burg, won't relish hat.

3 wkts down...thats more like it.For a while there , i couldnt recognise England.

Afridi_Fan said:
Have to face then Anderson in Jo'Burg, won't relish hat.

Yar , why such fear of Jimmy . I know he's damn good when the conditions suit him but don't forget we have a batsman to tackle him this time around .

Wassixpakistani said:
Yar , why such fear of Jimmy . I know he's damn good when the conditions suit him but don't forget we have a batsman to tackle him this time around .

Who?

Have to say Eoin Morgan has been impressive since coming into the England team.

Amjid Javed said:
Have to say Eoin Morgan has been impressive since coming into the England team.

Didn't look good on his debut for England . Boy did he gave me a good show yesterday .

Wassixpakistani said:

When I remember what happen last time around on this pitch/ground against West Indies the only name comes to mind is U. Akmal.

hmm some drama there. Vettori is a masoom sorta guy so he let it go but the replay shows that Daryl Harper called off the over and THEN the stumps were disturbed !

10.6 Mills to Collingwood, no run, run-out appeal, banged in short outside off, left alone, Collingwood walks down the pitch, McCullum throws down the stumps at the striker's end, the umpires are consulting, had the umpire Harper called over by the time the batsman walked down? Daryl Harper talks to Vettori, who chats with his team-mates to come up with a decision. The third umpire has given it out, but there are still discussions happening out in the middle. Collingwood has a word with Vettori, and the New Zealand captain's decided to withdraw the appeal and allowed Collingwood to continue.

Replays show that Harper had called Over, and the stumps were thrown down shortly after. So Collingwood was not out, and the right decision was made in the end.

Why would umpires go to third umpire when they had called the over?

Last edited:
vettoori aint that masoom remember after the 20 20 loss he said something about ball tampering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back