IPL 1st Semi-Final | Rajasthan v Delhi | 30/5/08

lollol

First Class Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Delhi Daredevils (probable): 1 Gautam Gambhir, 2 Virender Sehwag (capt), 3 Shikhar Dhawan, 4 Manoj Tiwary, 5 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 6 Dinesh Karthik (wk), 7 Farveez Maharoof, 8 V Yomahesh, 9 Amit Mishra, 10 Mohammad Asif 11 Glenn McGrath.

Rajasthan Royals (probable): 1 Graeme Smith, 2 Swapnil Asnodkar, 3 Yusuf Pathan, 4 Shane Watson, 5 Niraj Patel, 6 Ravindra Jadeja, 7 Mahesh Rawat (wk), 8 Shane Warne (capt), 9 Sohail Tanvir, 10 Siddharth Trivedi, 11 Munaf Patel.

Asif playing :O

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ipl/engine/current/match/336038.html

The two captains are out there for the toss with the bombastic Ravi Shastri, who bellows "Mumbai are you ready to rock!" The crowd response isn't as loud in comparison. Virender Sehwag calls heads and it falls heads. Sehwag sticks to his guns and Delhi will bowl first.

Last edited:
I'm with Asif and Tanvir on this one ;-)

I think the DDDevils have won my support 51% compared to 49% for the Royals

the factor that changed it was YO!!!!!!!Mahesh

Rajasthan were the best team during the league stages, winning 11 out of 14 games. They lost their final game to Punjab but that was largely because they fielded a relatively weak XI. Delhi made the final four by the proverbial skin of their teeth but they have the firepower in Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir, and the experience in Glenn McGrath to knock over any opposition. They've also beaten Rajasthan once in the tournament.

An interesting contest to watch out for is Sohail Tanvir against Delhi's top order. They haven't faced him before. Which way do you think this match will swing?

--------------

"The irony is that Delhi have Rajasthan to thank for their place in the final four. Stuck on 15 points after 14 matches, Delhi needed Rajasthan to beat Mumbai in Jaipur and only after Mumbai's final-ball choke was Delhi's spot secured."

Last edited:
Why have the Royals dropped Kamran Akmal, he seemed to me to be playing pretty good," says Dresdan. He was playing well, but a team can field only four internationals and Rajasthan's first choices are Smith, Watson, Tanvir and of course Warne.

Rajasthan have brought back the players they rested for the dead rubber against Punjab. Smith's back, so are Asnodkar, Warne, Jadeja and Tanvir. Niraj Patel misses out and Mohammad Kaif keeps his spot, which I find a bit surprising considering Patel has played two cracking knocks in his last two innings

PEOPLE in MUMBAI: By the way I've just got word that the Wankhede is far from full at the moment. So if you are in the vicinity, it might be worth making the trip. Ticket prices have been slashed as well, because Mumbai aren't in the final four.

ATLEAST the beasts have got one mention today!

They should've gone ICL style: best of two semi-finals

Well the early luck has been with Delhi. Sehwag said that the conditions in Mumbai during the first innings offered assistance to the seam bowlers and Delhi are bowling first.

Warne said he would have bowled as well. Rajasthan have chased confidently throughout the tournament and will now face the challenge of setting a competitive target.

How much is enough? The last time they played in Mumbai, Pollock and Co bowled them out for just over a 100, although that match was at the DY Patil Stadium.

SameerM said:
I'm with Asif and Tanvir on this one ;-)

I think the DDDevils have won my support 51% compared to 49% for the Royals

the factor that changed it was YO!!!!!!!Mahesh

Yo mahesh ?

I predicted a delhi vs chennai finals ...with chennai winning the finals !

so go delhi !

his name has a pulling power to it...

but looking again at the squads, i think DDD seem to have a better all round squad.. but we shall see..

Delhi should win today...Go Delhi Go and Thrash Warnie and his group of trundlers...

Delhi is a biggg city.. but wot is Rajasthan like? is it a city/town.. any of u guys been there?

wot are the sights ;-) like there?

-------------------------------------------
Past achievements don't matter anymore. It's sudden death for both the teams. A single mistake could cost them the tournament, and the pressure will only get more intense.

Graeme Smith and Swapnil Asnodkar are Rajasthan's openers, they've done a fantastic job so far in the IPL. Glenn McGrath has the new ball for Delhi, bowling from over the wicket.

SameerM said:
Delhi is a biggg city.. but wot is Rajasthan like? is it a city/town.. any of u guys been there?

wot are the sights ;-) like there?

Rajasthan is actually a state with the capital being Jaipur. Its a very beautiful state with peacocks, forts, the lot

Asif has to remove the brace on his elbow... umpire billy

Come on to the team (if any) with a Pakistani in it!!!

How can asif bowl with that brace on his elbow...

I wonder why he was selected... cant imagine him bowling with that thing around his arm.

Sehwag did say that he was good in the nets

Robotic arm@ Asif, the force is strong within you, my son

LukeHand.jpg

i set it to 95mph.. :p dont blow the fuses

Last edited:
Smith pushes the ball towards cover and sets off for the quick single, as he's running his hamstring begins to give him trouble and he begins to hobble, he's struggling to make his ground as the direct hit comes in from cover at the bowler's end, Smith barely grounds his bat as the ball hits the stumps, that was very very close, Smith's safe but his hamstring is giving him trouble

FOLKS - looks like SMITHY has pulled something - retire hurt? ;-) cmon Smithy leave already

"Smith's having a word with the umpire, presumably about a runner. He was carrying a hamstring problem into this match so he might not be allowed a runner. We will have to wait and see, it's up to Sehwag to allow him a runner."

WHYYYYYYYY choose an injured SMith instead of a fit inform Akmal? racist or wot.. is it cus Akmals brown?

Asnodkar's exploded!

Some of this commentry from cricinfo is so funny.. its like reading a thread on pp ;-) all good and entertaining

SameerM said:
WHYYYYYYYY choose an injured SMith instead of a fit inform Akmal? racist or wot.. is it cus Akmals brown?

Erm, its in India...a brown country where Akmal is in the majority....playing in a brown team....with thousands of brown supporters cheering them.

Asif gets cained in next over 14 runs from it.

29/0

SameerM said:
y has sehwag allowed a runner? poor captaincy decision there imo
If he got injured whilst taking a run - why shouldnt he be allowed a runner?

That would further demean this tournament if he was refused one.

Oxy said:

He was carrying the injury into the game so its the captain's descision. 9 out of 10 times, captain wouldnt have agreed.

SameerM said:
"Smith's having a word with the umpire, presumably about a runner. He was carrying a hamstring problem into this match so he might not be allowed a runner. We will have to wait and see, it's up to Sehwag to allow him a runner."

akmals not playing:O

i have him in my fantasy team :boom:

Oxy said:

Brother Oxy, Smith has the injury PRIOR to the game.. therefore should NOT have been given a runner.. just like Imran Nazir in last years ICC tournie

Smith is in business - Rameez
Smith having a City moment of Success this over. 3 fours off McGrath

SMith is not running, therefore full of energy

rajisthan are cheaters i told ya!

Runner issue should not go to the Captain then. Umpires should decide it if the injury was pre-match. Why should opposing captain have to make a decision when the rules say that pre-match injury means no runner or substitute. Smith will probably not field so who will make the substitute decision now because it now seems like this injury is in-match injury?

Who said this was a bowling wicket? To me it seems to be a very decent batting pitch....

12thMan said:

the mumbai game day b4 yesterday.. when Jayasuria was batting

Commentator goes.. Jayasuria has arrived, and has opened his shop shutters for business.

12thMan said:
Runner issue should not go to the Captain then. Umpires should decide it if the injury was pre-match. Why should opposing captain have to make a decision when the rules say that pre-match injury means no runner or substitute. Smith will probably not field so who will make the substitute decision now because it now seems like this injury is in-match injury?

Cricinfo says the umpire should ask opposing captain if it is ok or not..

FAir enough - if he was carrying an injury, then thats a totally seperate issue.

NO RUNNER!!!

12thMan said:
Smith having a City moment of Success this over. 3 fours off McGrath
That bit about bowling in pairs is coming true. Glenn McGrath was impeccable first over, but Asif returning from a hand injury was less than immaculate, he allowed GC and Asnodkar some room and the two batsmen opeend up, and now McGrath too paid the price with 3 4s by Smith. I wonder if captains actually think of bowling partnerships, and of changing things around when one weak bowler impacts on a stronger partner.

shikhar takes another brilliant catch!
right, this is the turning point of the game

SameerM said:
y has sehwag allowed a runner? poor captaincy decision there imo

Virender 'Chota Aloo' Sehwag is just trying to collect a few grace/ brownie points against his day.

SameerM said:
Cricinfo says the umpire should ask opposing captain if it is ok or not..
I think those are the rules or custom but it shouldn't be that way. Makes the opposition captain look bad if he refuses. Now to me allowing the runner means that a substitute fielder will also be allowed

Sehwag wants to collect Kinfisher Fair play brownie points

Tanno in

wow @ Tanvir !!!

Tanvirs good words made a good image on Warney hey??

Maharoof told smith to eff off after he got out. I always hate it when bowlers do that to a batsman whose already walking back.

arun lal, just &*$%#&*($#&*(#

"city moment of success" i hate it, he says it OVER AND OVER again. What annoying. It drives me crazy

Tanvir promoted up order as a pinch hitter i guess!

The stage is set for tanvir to go for it. 65-2 is still a good start.

Tanvir @ 3????

This is semi-final man, warne seems to be experimenting to much....

lollol said:

"city moment of success" i hate it, he says it OVER AND OVER again. What annoying. It drives me crazy
no Kingfisher points for you :(

Maharoof to Asnodkar, OUT
SA Asnodkar c Tiwary b Maharoof 39 (21b 6x4 1x6) SR: 185.71

Maharoof's struck again! He hits the pitch hard and gets the ball to lift on Asnodkar from just short of a length, Asnodkar cuts the ball from outside off stump but can't control it because of the high bounce, he slices it in the air towards Tiwary at point, who takes a smart catch

12thMan said:
I think those are the rules or custom but it shouldn't be that way. Makes the opposition captain look bad if he refuses. Now to me allowing the runner means that a substitute fielder will also be allowed

Sehwag wants to collect Kinfisher Fair play brownie points

Tanno in
Looks like you're hopping continents like me....meanwhile, back in Antigua.........

**** Asnodkar gone as well

Rajasthan Royals 65/2

lollol said:

You are not alone.

What a class shot by tanvir through covers, i expected some lofted sixes but smith would have been proud of that shot.

Tannviiir hits 4444444444444

He's overtook Afridi's top score already!! :))

it seems that smith was already injured, they shouldnt have played him if they wanted to win...

Tanvir gone now and Royals in some trouble

Mahroof has all 3 wkts!

Back