Junaid Khan vs Bhuvneshwar Kumar

As usual, hyperbole galore when it comes to Pakistani seamers.

Junaid is nothing special and neither is Kumar. The former is better with the old ball and the latter is better with the new ball.

I'd take Kumar over Junaid in ODIs and Junaid over him in Tests.

There is very little to separate between the two, unlike Kohli and Umar Akmal.

Kohli should no longer be compared to Umar Akmal. It is frankly insulting.

Junaid averages around 6-9 points less than BK in both ODIs and tests, cannot bowl during the death or when the ball is old and is a whole lot slower than Khan.

^That is a whole lot between the two and only a clearly biased person would pick BK over JK.

In the subcontinent, Junaid is a better Test bowler. In ODIs however, Bhuvneshwar seems ahead beacause of his better economy rate and ability to perform everywhere consistantly.

Where is everywhere? BK hasn't played in several countries. If we're going to start judging bowlers by their economy rate then Hafeez would be a better bowler than Ajmal. This post also higlights another key difference between the two, Khan is an attacking bowler while Kumar is a defensive one.

Junaid Khan is/will eventually end up as much better as India is better than Pakistan right now.

LOL FACT is no matter how "BAD" Junaid is, he will still end his career as a better fast bowler than India ever had.

Junaid averages around 6-9 points less than BK in both ODIs and tests, cannot bowl during the death or when the ball is old and is a whole lot slower than Khan.

^That is a whole lot between the two and only a clearly biased person would pick BK over JK.
Everyone blames Indian batsman, saying that they score on flat roads.... Considering this, Don't u think BK bowls in flat roads n yet has accomplished good numbs ?
On the other hand, U guys say dat Pak batting have to face bowler friendly pitches , then dont u think even your JK Bowls on village muddy road to garner the wicket n average .... If given flat tracks, JK vl b found out right ?

Give credit to BK for having performed as premiere strike bowler so well in a team full of trundlers, who often put extra pressure on him in flat tracks :msd

Tests = Junaid

ODIs = B Kumar

Overall, Junaid because he is more versatile but B Kumar is one of the best new ball bowler to emerge from the sub continent in years.
Hey mamoon... Have been observing ur posts from a long time... :13:

Very frank, honest & mainly unbiased replies .... Gotta give it to u maan :14:

lol unbiased replies? the guy puts wahab riaz and junaid khan in the same sentence and claims junaid is only "marginally better" despite one giu averaging in the 20's and the other guy averaging in the 60's in odi.

Kumar has averaged consistently lower than Junaid at a better economy rate throughout his career so far until the ODI series vs Australia where he was still the most economical pacer comfortably.

These 7 watches were nothing less than hell for the bowlers and you pick any Pakistani seamer, he will get hammered here.

Junaid is prone to getting a whack here and there, as proven in one of the games in WI and Zimbabwe and its absurd to think that he'd done a good job on those wickets.

Secondly, these pitches were nothing like the ones in the Pakistan series last Dec/Jan.

In spite of this 7 ODI series, Kumar still has a better economy rate rate than Junaid Khan.

What Junaid Khan has over Kumar is his strike rate which is very, very good.

Like I said, there isn't daylight between them and only boils down to whether you want a bowler who is good with the new ball or with the old ball.

Junaid gets no purchase with the new ball from any wicket, apart from that one off first ODI in India. He is quite good with the old ball and has good control and a nice yorker.

Kumar on the other hand is very lively with the new ball on most surfaces, but doesn't pose a threat with the old ball.

As far as ODIs go, I prefer a bowler who is good with the new ball but in Tests, its the old ball bowlers who I feel are more valuable because they can bowl long spells and a be threat all day long.

The irony of you calling me biased. Ha.

Thanks for the appreciation but the general norm here is that I have an agenda against Pakistan and basically, am an Indian in disguise :msd

BK was average 22 before this one ODI series. A series on the flattest of roads where he was the noly bowler who went below 6 runs per over

BK was average 22 before this one ODI series. A series on the flattest of roads where he was the noly bowler who went below 6 runs per over

These are called statistical anomalies that considerably even out as sample size gets bigger, qualitative aspects come in when quantitative part is in same ball park. Statistical difference b/w them is larger than two leagues. If history has taught us anything it is that Bkumar will play at most 25-30 tests will take 80-90 wickets at 35-40 average and 65+ strike rate, but can perform better in ODIs. Such harsh is test cricket toward swing it straight out of hand medium pacers, but again it can be changed. Shami and Yadav are best Indian prospects as they swing it late and no Bkumar is not like tall seam bowlers.

Not a hater of Bhuvi, but that "Tests = Junaid and ODIs = Bhuvi" doesn't mean a lot. Tests are the format where a bowler's skills are tested. Juni has three 5fers against SL, incl. two in SL (please do look at the numbers of the other pacers) whereas, yes, Bhuvi is superior during the new ball spell, but the fact that he has success in ODIs with such "superiority" just says a lot more about the format than the bowler himself.
In Tests, you can move the ball all over but if you don't have the threatening line-length and pace you'll never be successful.

In one post here I said that his average will remain +30 in Tests and between 28-32 in ODIs, I maintain that, it does mean that Junai is better, but it doesn't mean that Juni is a potential ATG either.
What I have a problem with is bifurcating the two formats, no one would say "Tests = Younus Khan, T20s = Hafeez" ; you judge a cricketer on his Test outings to assess his talent or skills.

The same guy that India drop when the wickets are flat, knowing that there is no movement and this bowler will get tonked if played?

At least he gets movement when its available.

Junaid is a flat bowler who only did something with the ball once in his career and its been a year.

Junaid is an extremely ordinary bowler who is good at times with the old ball which makes him a better Test bowler than Kumar.

Kumar is also no world beater but he's pretty good with the new ball because he can swing.

None of them are world class and none of them will leave their respective names in the history books.

At least he gets movement when its available.

Junaid is a flat bowler who only did something with the ball once in his career and its been a year.

Junaid is an extremely ordinary bowler who is good at times with the old ball which makes him a better Test bowler than Kumar.

Kumar is also no world beater but he's pretty good with the new ball because he can swing.

None of them are world class and none of them will leave their respective names in the history books.

I normally dont post in such threads as but here is a simple stat.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...3;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

check out who is at 6 and check out who is at 14. the guy at 6 has played less matches. whether they will be greats or ATG or world class or bad remains to be seen. As i said before nobody knows the future.

Last edited:
The same guy that India drop when the wickets are flat, knowing that there is no movement and this bowler will get tonked if played?
At least check your facts before saying this.

Just compare how many times B K has been dropped and how many times Junaid has been dropped this year.

Now the next line of defence would be Junaid wasn't dropped, he was rested/rotated.

I normally dont post in such threads as but here is a simple stat.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...3;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

check out who is at 6 and check out who is at 14. the guy at 6 has played less matches.

Junaid should thank the stars he never got to bowl on the wickets Kumar did in the India vs Australia series.

Junaid would be lucky to escape on those wickets with an economy rate of below 7 with his zero movement, half volleys and bouncers and 135 KPH.

Some posters are without any solid reason hating JK. Hes among leading wicket takers in 2013

Junaid should thank the stars he never got to bowl on the wickets Kumar did in the India vs Australia series.

Junaid would be lucky to escape on those wickets with an economy rate of below 7 with his zero movement, half volleys and bouncers and 135 KPH.

would have,could have and should have is not good enough. That remains to be seen how he would have bowled on such tracks. What remains is he has bowled well and he has taken a good pile of wickets so no need to downplay this achievement.

Kumar in ODIs/T20s comfortably.

Again, what BeeKay did of note in Tests ?
THAT's where you compare, you'll never see someone say "I'd take :sachin for Tests and :hafeez in T20s".

would have,could have and should have is not good enough. That remains to be seen how he would have bowled on such tracks. What remains is how he has bowled well and he has taken a good pile of wickets so no need to downplay this achievement.

50% of his games against WI and minnows.

Besides, what special ability do you see in his bowling?

If I'm a newbie and I ask you to explain me his strengths and his special abilities, what you will say?

Again, what BeeKay did of note in Tests ?
THAT's where you compare, you'll never see someone say "I'd take :sachin for Tests and :hafeez in T20s".

So the only thing that was left was to compare the difference between Junaid and Irfan too the difference between Tendulkar and Hafeez.

Besides, Tendulkar has hardly played international T20s, and if he did, he would be obviously one of the best around. What a diabolical post.

Btw, Junaid averaged 53 in the Tests series vs SA. But of course there will be excuses, he was unlucky bla bla.

I wonder why the same excuses aren't used for the likes of Sami and Wahab.

So the only thing that was left was to compare the difference between Junaid and Irfan too the difference between Tendulkar and Hafeez.

Besides, Tendulkar has hardly played international T20s, and if he did, he would be obviously one of the best around. What a diabolical post.

Btw, Junaid averaged 53 in the Tests series vs SA. But of course there will be excuses, he was unlucky bla bla.

Stop acting so outraged, the point was no one says "I'd take X in Tests and Y in ODIs/T20s", that simply doesn't happen because there's only one format where you judge the ability of a bowler to earn scalps when batsmen are on the defensive.
And yes, Junaid averaged 53 or +200 here or there, but what about the career average ? Beekay has a SR of nearly 70 for heaven's sake. :kapil

I don't consider Juni a "potential ATG" (see that other thread), but he's head, shoulders and toes above Beekay.

The only reason why Junaid is highly rated is because he's a Pakistani.

50% of his games against WI and minnows.

Besides, what special ability do you see in his bowling?

If I'm a newbie and I ask you to explain me his strengths and his special abilities, what you will say?

why do you downplay west indies? they are not minnows in cricket yet.

He has played 16 of his 22 games against test playing nations and if we remove westindies 12 of his games.

Where did i say you were a newbie?

His strength is to bowl at a good line and length and that is good trait to have which many many bowlers lack bcz of such tightness he gets wickets. I agree after the indian series have not seen any big swing but even without that he has done very well as dictated by his avg and wickets.

Irfan who you rate very highly has played 13 of his 24 games against teams excluding indies and minnows yet you dont downplay his achievements.

Stop acting so outraged, the point was no one says "I'd take X in Tests and Y in ODIs/T20s", that simply doesn't happen because there's only one format where you judge the ability of a bowler to earn scalps when batsmen are on the defensive.
And yes, Junaid averaged 53 or +200 here or there, but what about the career average ? Beekay has a SR of nearly 70 for heaven's sake. :kapil

I don't consider Juni a "potential ATG" (see that other thread), but he's head, shoulders and toes above Beekay.

Like I said, I will take him in Tests but Kumar in ODIs/T20s.

What is wrong with this statement?

Your ability as a bowler in not judged in Tests, ONLY your ability as a Test bowler is.

If A is a great Test bowler, and B is a poor Test bowler.

A is awful in ODIs and B is great in ODIs.

You will pick A for your ODI team or B?

Of course B. You won't pick A just because "Test cricket is the real test of a bowler's ability and therefore I will pick A regardless of the fact that B is more suited to ODIs"

That is a completely absurd logic.

By your logic, Younis should be picked for ODIs because he averages 50 in Test which shows his class as a batsman even though, he's terrible in ODIs.

Don't mix up formats when judging a player.

why do you downplay west indies? they are not minnows in cricket yet.

He has played 16 of his 22 games against test playing nations and if we remove westindies 12 of his games.

Where did i say you were a newbie?

His strength is to bowl at a good line and length and that is good trait to have which many many bowlers lack bcz of such tightness he gets wickets. I agree after the indian series have not seen any big swing but even without that he has done very well as dictated by his avg and wickets.

Irfan who you rate very highly has played 13 of his 24 games against teams excluding indies and minnows yet you dont downplay his achievements.

Irfan, I rate highly because he is fine bowler.

He is very quick, sharp and troubles the batsmen pretty much all the time.

I didn't say I was a newbie, I simply said imagine if I WAS, how would you describe Junaid?

He has no extra pace, he can't move the ball an inch, his length is wayward nowadays. He simply doesn't have any standout quality.

did well in 2/3 innings . His career is still at a young stage which is why i say he is neither ATG nor world class but a good potential who can become all those things.

Irfan, I rate highly because he is fine bowler.

He is very quick, sharp and troubles the batsmen pretty much all the time.

I didn't say I was a newbie, I simply said imagine if I WAS, how would you describe Junaid?

He has no extra pace, he can't move the ball an inch, his length is wayward nowadays. He simply doesn't have any standout quality.

Well i would describe him as a line and length bowler who can bowl around at 136+ pace and can also bowl around 140. Has shown potential and should be persisted with as he is one for the future and could be groomed into a good to great bowler.

At least check your facts before saying this.

Just compare how many times B K has been dropped and how many times Junaid has been dropped this year.

Now the next line of defence would be Junaid wasn't dropped, he was rested/rotated.

Because he was rested most of the times, you fool...

Well Mamoo, why do you think that Junaid does not have movement in his bowling?. You want excessive movement in ALL bowlers? What I see here is that You are obsessed by BIG swinging deliveries. How many world class cricket bowlers have you seen with big in and out swings?

Besides Imran, Wasim and Waqar, I have not seen many great bowlers who swing the ball excessively. Even in the match today, look at steyn or stain (which fits him perfect). He seams the ball away mostly enough to put doubts in Batsmen head which causes tentative push and nudge.

For a bowler who can bowl 135-144, he does not need excessive movement. Junaid does not need BKs excessive swing. He cuts the ball in AND out just enough to catch batsmen edge. As you conveniently described Today's Amla wicket as luck is actually a ball that moved enough to dismiss him.

BK as of NOW is not a complete bowler. Fortunately for him, now ICC is using 2 new balls that is working for him in ODI. He will have to learn to bowl old ball with more effort to be called a good over all bowler.

Last edited:
B Kumar might have the goods, however he is unlucky.

He averages 37 in 6 Tests in India and 48 in 15 ODI's in India.

He has played no tests outside of India but has played ODIs outside of India and averages 21 away and 12 at a neutral venue.

This is why he is unlucky. He will play half of his matches in India where stats show he is rubbish because it's not conductive to his sort of bowling - new ball swing.

If he wants to do well in India, he will need to either learn how to reverse or seam the ball.

Last edited:
Its pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that Junaid is comfortably the better bowler.

I know it's early days, but I'm sure Shami and Yadav will do waaayyy better in SA than Junaid and Irfan.

Last edited:
Because he was rested most of the times, you fool...

A fitting adjective to one who comes up with such a feeble argument.

B Kumar might have the goods, however he is unlucky.

He averages 37 in 6 Tests in India and 48 in 15 ODI's in India.

He has played no tests outside of India but has played ODIs outside of India and averages 21 away and 12 at a neutral venue.

This is why he is unlucky. He will play half of his matches in India where stats show he is rubbish because it's not conductive to his sort of bowling - new ball swing.

If he wants to do well in India, he will need to either learn how to reverse or seam the ball.

By the same token, can we say that the likes of Kohli, Dhawan and Sharma are lucky to be playing in India? It goes both ways doesn't it.

I know it's early days, but I'm sure Shami and Yadav will do waaayyy better in SA than Junaid and Irfan.

Does he even fit enough to play test match?

Shami will be taken to cleaners by the Africans,

I don't understand what's so special about this B.Kumar. Yes he has a good bowling brain but he lacks serious pace, no aggression, needs swing to be truly effective and is neither physically built. Junaid Khan on the other hand is extremely talented with the ball and will get better and better. Also is physically strong and quick.

Kumar lost India the game today didn't he?

How can you even compare these two? Junaid is miles ahead and every cricket expert agrees.

However, B Kumar is better than any other Indian pacer. Yadav is rubbish and Shami is mediocre.

I wouldn't be making statements like that when the person hasn't even been tested yet and you have no comparison to go against.

Yadav is a good bowler, Shaami is deceivingly quick. B kumar is garbage. He is India's kulasekra.

Yadav gives away too many runs, his ODI economy is over 6 and that coupled with his averages in both formats makes for some horrendous stats. Shami is unproven at the test level and has been pretty bad at the ODI level with an average nearly touching 35.

Kumar can swing the ball with some assistance and can keep things tight. Not on Junaid's level but India's best.

BK is effective in ODIs, Junaid is not.

Kidding right?

Junaid khan Best Fast bowler of 2013 in Odi Along with Irfan,Steyn on Stats
Cricket isn't won on stats e.g. Mitchell Johnson

Some ordinary players who aren't match winners could have stats better than ones who are.

Last edited:
Kumar lost India the game today didn't he?

How can you even compare these two? Junaid is miles ahead and every cricket expert agrees.

So Junaid didn't give 19 in an over in the last match? Dew played a big factor yesterday as yorkers were becoming full tosses

IMO Junaid is over-hyped and from what I saw Bilawal > Junaid in the shorter form of the games

Kumar has averaged consistently lower than Junaid at a better economy rate throughout his career so far until the ODI series vs Australia where he was still the most economical pacer comfortably.
How long has Kumar's career even been?
So what if his economy has been better? JK's strike rate AND average are far better than BK's (I'm only looking at the first 18 matches of their careers, so to have a better comparison).

that 53 average is highly misleading due to one bad innings but alas, you can't expect anything else from the most biased poster around

Junaid over Kumar any time.

Has better average in tests/ODI/and FC.

Has more variety, more pace, more tools in his repertoire. With a bit of application and hard work could turn out to be a real star.

:facepalm:

So you want me to compare Junaid's performances on FLAT decks vs Shami's performances on bowling paradises? Seriously?

he also things junaid should be left out of the squad vs sri lanka in the upcoming series despite what Junaid did to Sri Lankan batsmen in test matches last year

Like i said, he has zero credibility.

I like the look of Kumar, for me he is one of the most skilled bowlers in international cricket. Junaid has a great heart but is lacking a bit of confidence atm but in the longer term i have nor worries.

Stats wise Sri lanka is a worse batting line up than the West indies the past 2 years vs non minnows,

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=team_average;spanmax1=27+Nov+2013;spanmin1=27+Nov+2011;spanval1=span;team=4;team=8;template=results;type=team

And if you think It Junaid Khan is making them look bad sri lanka are even worse against teams other pakistan,

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opposition=8;orderby=team_average;spanmax1=27+Nov+2013;spanmin1=27+Nov+2011;spanval1=span;team=4;team=8;template=results;type=team

Sri lanka have been in serious decline with all their main batsman ageing and they haven't been able to find good replacements. The Sri lankan team that junaid is dominating is clearly not the same one that Asif was doing well against.

Last edited:
Stats wise Sri lanka is a worse batting line up than the West indies the past 2 years vs non minnows,

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=team_average;spanmax1=27+Nov+2013;spanmin1=27+Nov+2011;spanval1=span;team=4;team=8;template=results;type=team

And if you think It Junaid Khan is making them look bad sri lanka are even worse against teams other pakistan,

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opposition=8;orderby=team_average;spanmax1=27+Nov+2013;spanmin1=27+Nov+2011;spanval1=span;team=4;team=8;template=results;type=team

Sri lanka have been in serious decline with all their main batsman ageing and they haven't been able to find good replacements. The Sri lankan team that junaid is dominating is clearly not the same one that Asif was doing well against.
the point was that it is laughable to say that Junaid should be dropped vs Sri Lanka. It shows bias and complete lack of objectivity.

Also, keep in mind that Junaid averaged 53 vs SA in the Test series in UAE.

Wow, that is almost as bad as what Swann averaged against them in his home.

wrong Jadeja also went below 6

I don't understand this argument. The series took place in India and the team management + BCCI officials decided that it would be best if the pitches were flat so that the Indian batsmen could get some easy runs against a quality Australian attack.

On one hand, Sharma and Kohli are being lauded as superheroes and on the other excuses are being made for Kumar.

If you want to disregard that series then disregard Sharma's 200 too since in came on one of the flattest pitches ever.

So Junaid didn't give 19 in an over in the last match? Dew played a big factor yesterday as yorkers were becoming full tosses

IMO Junaid is over-hyped and from what I saw Bilawal > Junaid in the shorter form of the games

Actually its Kumar who is over hyped, and even if we do agree that Kumar is a better oneday bowler, its the test performance that actually counts!

I don't understand this argument. The series took place in India and the team management + BCCI officials decided that it would be best if the pitches were flat so that the Indian batsmen could get some easy runs against a quality Australian attack.

What?

Bhuvi is >>>>>> junaid , Sammi/Yadev>>>>>> Irfan, Ashwain >>>> Ajmal, Jadeja>>>>>> Babr/Rehman.
Indian bowling is far superior to Pak,has alays been, they (including the mighty 30 + average Zak) doesn't perform for a considerable period of time as they want to give a good feeling to their sorry neighbours that they are better than Indian in some department in cricket.
Considering Amla somewhat struggled against Irfan, he should have no chance against the brilliant Indian pace brigade!

Australia has a good bowling attack. What do yo mean what?

They were as toothless as they came and conceded record chases twice in the four or five playable games.

Pakistan and England showed much better fight with the ball when they played their respective ODI series here. Even the Windies aren't pulling up too badly.

I have never seen a midget trundler succeed. B jumar would be the first one. But I highly doubt it. He struggled against WI in tests and has been ordinary in ODIs too so far. Everyone was getting wickets against WI for fun except B Kumar,

Nahi nahi bhai waaaaaaaaayy better, Shammi and Yadev are legends!

Seriously.
Most skillful fast bowler in Asia - Bhuvi, Zak
Best reverse swing - Shami
One of the fastest, 145-150 kph - Umesh
Best allround cricketer in Asia - Ashwin, Jadeja

Come SA tour, these guys will show Pakistan counterparts how it's done. :wasim

Back