Pakistan v New Zealand | 2nd Test - Day 1 | Wellington | 3/12/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

germanboy

Local Club Star
Runs
Salam,

New Zealand v Pakistan

Match scheduled to begin at 12:00 local time (23:00 GMT)

Nz lead the series 1-0

New Zealand squad:
DL Vettori*, GD Elliott, DR Flynn, PG Fulton, MJ Guptill, BB McCullum†, TG McIntosh, CS Martin, IE O'Brien, JS Patel, TG Southee, LRPL Taylor, DR Tuffey

Pakistan squad:
Mohammad Yousuf*, Kamran Akmal†, Abdur Rauf, Danish Kaneria, Faisal Iqbal, Fawad Alam, Imran Farhat, Khurram Manzoor, Mohammad Aamer, Mohammad Asif, Saeed Ajmal, Salman Butt, Sarfraz Ahmed†, Shoaib Malik, Umar Akmal, Umar Gul, Yasir Arafat

Umpires BR Doctrove and SJA Taufel
TV umpire RE Koertzen
Match referee AG Hurst
Reserve umpire GAV Baxter

Jang News:
1. Butt
2. Farhat
3. Fawad
4. Misbah
5. Yousuf
6. Malik.
7. Umar Akmal
8. Faisal Iqbal
9. Kamran Akmal
10. Rauf
11. Gul
12. Aamir
13. Asif

Cricinfo News:
Daryl Tuffey is set to take Shane Bond's place in the XI

Weather:
Rain is expected to disrupt the Test on the first three days and it will be windy throughout

http://uk.weather.com/weather/today-Wellington-NZXX0049

Tv Rights:
Ten Sports in Pak/Ind/Bang
Sky Sports in Nz
Zee Cinema in Uk/Europe

Last edited:
Salman Butt
Imran Farhat
Misbah-Ul-Haq
Mohammad Yousuf (C)
Umar Akmal
Fawad Alam
Kamran Akmal (wk)
Mohammad Amir
Abdur Rauf
Mohammad Asif
Umar Gul

Let Farhat play and make a fool of himself again. Maybe that's the only way to get rid of him...

I don't know about Farhat. If we are going to have 1 slot alloted to parchi players, let Bhanja play instead of Damad. At least Bhanja can field.

(Assuming it doesnt rain so much that time is lost) if the team bowling first doesnt bat by the days end it'll be very disappointing for them.

yaar please farhat ko nikal do please khilana hi hai to t20 par khila lena

gollumbird said:
I don't know about Farhat. If we are going to have 1 slot alloted to parchi players, let Bhanja play instead of Damad. At least Bhanja can field.

But I'm afraid if Bhanja plays they will get Fawad to open and ruin him.

gollumbird said:

recall his dropped catch in the Karachi Test vs. India...deer caught in the headlights look less clueless than this guy

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
recall his dropped catch in the Karachi Test vs. India...deer caught in the headlights look less clueless than this guy

OK, you are pointing to 1 catch. There are half a dozen for Damad in the last NZ game. For me the choice is clear.

Maybe better to have Malkoo than any of them, he can field and take catches.

gollumbird said:
OK, you are pointing to 1 catch. There are half a dozen for Damad in the last NZ game. For me the choice is clear.

the only choice we really have is to dispatch both idiots to the boundary ropes

Ali Raja said:
Maybe better to have Malkoo than any of them, he can field and take catches.

But can he bat? Probably doesn't matter because so can't the other 2.

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:

Yh but even that was high and in the sunlight (if i recall correctly).

Imran Farhat...3 dropped catches in first innings against England on first day of the first test at Lords...lost us game.
2/3?? dropped catches against NZ...lost us the game.

guys, I'm not defending Farhat's catching, I'm just saying both are equally bad

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:

Overall as players may be you have a point. But for catching I doubt any one in international cricket can be worse than Damad.

Farhat should not be selected under any circumstances. He does not deserve to be selected at all. Anyway should be a great game this one.

What time do the players get to the ground? Other than warm ups, I wonder if the team has any pep talks? Or do this mingle with their buddies?

gollumbird said:
But can he bat? Probably doesn't matter because so can't the other 2.

Haha, don't have anyone else. None of them can bat, so the best fielder should get the nod :malik

Da Best said:
Farhat should not be selected under any circumstances. He does not deserve to be selected at all. Anyway should be a great game this one.

Yaar bus yeh baat kisi tarah selecters ko bhi pata chal gei to acha hai.

But i hope jo bhi kehle acha khele aur hum match jeete (InschAllah)

I hope Fawad gets another chance. He deserves it. That means two out of Butt, Iqbal, Farhat and Malik to miss out. All much of a muchness.

On_the_up said:
I hope Fawad gets another chance. He deserves it. That means two out of Butt, Iqbal, Farhat and Malik to miss out. All much of a muchness.

Agreed. Don't drop Butt. Drop two of the three gande ande.

germanboy said:
Yaar bus yeh baat kisi tarah selecters ko bhi pata chal gei to acha hai.

But i hope jo bhi kehle acha khele aur hum match jeete (InschAllah)

why u have copied my avator ? :(

Pakistan team must not take Daryl Tuffy easy. So far he has taken 66 wickets in test matches. Out of 66 wickets 24 are against Pakistan!!!!

My ideal team would be

Malik
Alam
Umar
Misbah
Yousuf
Kamran
Arafat
Aamer
Gul
Asif
Ajmal

No point going in with Manzoor, Butt or Farhat.

Why is it that mediocre bowlers who never perform against anyone else perform against Pakistan?

Wazeeri said:
My ideal team would be

Malik
Alam
Umar
Misbah
Yousuf
Kamran
Arafat
Aamer
Gul
Asif
Ajmal

No point going in with Manzoor, Butt or Farhat.

What's the need of FIVE bowlers when our batting is struggling? We are playing against NZ, not Australia.

To bad Bond is not playing. I am looking forward to Aamir's bowling on a seaming pitch :)
Good luck to both teams.

I am so excited to find out which parchee has been picked in this test.If there is any justice in cricket then Faisal zardari bhutto will play ahead of damaad e azam.

tdigi said:
To bad Bond is not playing. I am looking forward to Aamir's bowling on a seaming pitch :)
Good luck to both teams.
New Zealand is lucky they got the services of Bond in the 1st Test match. The guy usually makes news when he plays a Test match, as opposed to other fast bowlers who make news when they do well.

Why is the match going to start at 12:00 local time. I mean that's a late start..don't you think?

tdigi said:
Why is the match going to start at 12:00 local time. I mean that's a late start..don't you think?
It was the same during our tour in March this year.

Bublu Bhuyan said:
It was the same during our tour in March this year.
Yes but why do they start so late?

I agree with tdigi . Thats too late start for test cricket. Comeon Pakistan give us a comebacK.

Shane Bond's absence will boost our chances.

looks like its going to be all Punjab eleven except gul
1. butt
2.farhat
3.u.akmal
4.yusuf
5.malik
6.misbah
7.k.akmal
8.aamer
9.rauf
10.gul
11.asif

What's the need of FIVE bowlers when our batting is struggling? We are playing against NZ, not Australia.

We are bowling guys who have had injuries in the past. Guys who have bowled 30+ overs each just a week ago. Aamer had stress fractures in his back and Asif had an elbow problem. How much can we push these guys?

It's true our batting is struggling but are any one of Butt, Manzoor or Farhat really expected to score more than Yasir Arafat?

Wazeeri said:
We are bowling guys who have had injuries in the past. Guys who have bowled 30+ overs each just a week ago. Aamer had stress fractures in his back and Asif had an elbow problem. How much can we push these guys?

It's true our batting is struggling but are any one of Butt, Manzoor or Farhat really expected to score more than Yasir Arafat?

I agree that we should have an allrounder in the team to take some of the burden of asif, amir and co. But arafat? He's more of a bowling-allrounder. i would rather have malik and fawad bowling some overs of spin.

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
That is defending Farhat's catching. :))

He's more of a bowling-allrounder. i would rather have malik and fawad bowling some overs of spin.

I would agree on most grounds but Wellington is not the best place to be a spinner. A below average spinner like Malik and Fawad would be taken to the cleaners or atleast these two would take the pressure of the batsmen by allowing easy runs.

Yasir would be handy in Wellington conditions and besides who would you replace him with? Farhat, Butt, Manzoor??

Maybe Salman Butt. I hope he's hungry for runs.
He maybe hungry but he has a very small stomache.
10/20 runs are more then enough to fill his appetite.

qaiser said:
1. butt
2.farhat
3.u.akmal
4.yusuf
5.malik
6.misbah
7.k.akmal
8.aamer
9.rauf
10.gul
11.asif

would be my team except for malik.

inti probably just playing him in case we need spin.

but we won't .. and even if we did ... farhat is a better spinner - 29 first class average mind you.

kashif77 said:

but we won't .. and even if we did ... farhat is a better spinner - 29 first class average mind you.
What? Farhat is a better spinner than Malik?

kashif77 said:

well thats what looks like being selected.

I would select the following

1. butt
2. K.akmal.
3.Yusuf.
4.Misbah.
5.u.akmal
6.F.alam
7.Sarfaraz
8.Arafat.
9.Aamer
10.Rauf
11.Asif

qaiser said:
1. butt
2.farhat
3.u.akmal
4.yusuf
5.malik
6.misbah
7.k.akmal
8.aamer
9.rauf
10.gul
11.asif

Well sad. I am sick of PCB ignoring players from Karachi and other parts of Pakistan. What a shame.... :inti :ibutt

Well sad. I am sick of PCB ignoring players from Karachi and other parts of Pakistan. What a shame....
Who are we missing? Mohammad Sami?

At what time the match will start? Pakistan Standard Time Please!

I was looking forward to seeing Arafat play today. I guess that isnt happening. Im really worried about our batting, Farhat, Butt, Misbah and even Malik are going to struggle on this pitch.
God knows what will happen if Bhanja is selected!

luvthegame said:
Well sad. I am sick of PCB ignoring players from Karachi and other parts of Pakistan. What a shame.... :inti :ibutt

Care to name them.

We've the best Karachi has to offer.

Two players with rubbish batting techniques.

Muddaser said:
Care to name them.

For starters, Hasan Raza.

history of pakistan cricket notable for injustice happened to I.Qasim, Qasim Umer, Yasir Hameed, Shoaib Mohammad, Basit Ali, hasan Raza, asim Kamal, aftab Baloch, Miandad (not originally selected for the 92 world cup), Sarfaraz Ahmed, Hanif Mohammad, yunus

Last edited:
Muddaser said:
Care to name them.

whats better about the technique of Malik

Doesn't Khalid Latif play from Karachi as well?

qaiser said:
history of pakistan cricket notable for injustice happened to I.Qasim, Qasim Umer, Yasir Hameed, Shoaib Mohammad, Basit Ali, hasan Raza, asim Kamal, aftab Baloch, Miandad (not originally selected for the 92 world cup), Sarfaraz Ahmed, Hanif Mohammad, yunus

Joker! Hundreds of caps between these guys!

qaiser said:
whats better about the technique of Malik

Better than Khurram and Fawad.

He's done alot more than those two in International cricket. Lets not forget he can bowl.

The last thing I wanted to see was the whining about the PCB being the Punjab Cricket Board. Are you guys serious? Always trying to create a division within the country. never mind the fact that the chief selectors of the pat 2 regimes have been from Karachi. The captain was from Karachi.

sagar said:
For starters, Hasan Raza.

He got his chance and failed.

Like it or not, Punjab is producing better cricketers than Karachi. Fast bowlers have always been better and batsmen too. Course the sporting conditions in the North play a part.

Last edited:
Muddaser said:

Fact is, Punjab is producing better cricketers than Karachi.
Im from Karachi and I don't know if that fact is true.

But I really don't care, as long as Pakistan is producing good cricketers that can play at the In'tl level then I am good. :)

Does it really matter where the players are from? They are Pakistani's and are playing for Pakistan thats about it.

Inswinger said:
The last thing I wanted to see was the whining about the PCB being the Punjab Cricket Board. Are you guys serious? Always trying to create a division within the country. never mind the fact that the chief selectors of the pat 2 regimes have been from Karachi. The captain was from Karachi.

Its always the Karachi lot that complain. Lets look at the best Karachi has to offer.

Kamran Akmal is better than Sarfraz Ahmed.

Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal and a whole bunch of others look better than Fawad and Khurram.

That leaves Hasan Raza......

Muddaser said:

Like it or not, Punjab is producing better cricketers than Karachi. Fast bowlers have always been better and batsmen too. Course the sporting conditions in the North play a part.

Dosen't really matter if the players are from Punjab or wherever cause most people here are Pakistanis not Punjabis or sindhis, so tyhey support team Pakistan not Team Punjab ( which you seem to do)

Recently most of the new players have turned out to be crap, no matter where they are from. The only exception in the recent past has been U. Akmal and M. Aamer. The rest have been one-hit wonders. I don't care where they are selected from as long as the team wins. Win, win , and win at all costs. I would be most happy if all players were selected from Mall Road, Lahore or all of them selected from Lalu Khait area of Karachi, as long as they produce the results.

iHammad said:

But I really don't care, as long as Pakistan is producing good cricketers that can play at the In'tl level then I am good. :)
I wish more people shared the same thought. But for some reason, a few PPers always like to point fingers because "enough Karachi players aren't playing".

iHammad said:

I really dont care either. All Eleven could be from Karachi or even Waziristan.

They're Pakistani and thats all that matters.

Fast bowlers have always been better from Punjab cause of Genetics maybe. Even batsmen are technically cause of sporting conditions in the North of Pakistan.

Karachi wickets are just too dead, its no wonder Fawad and Khurram score hundreds yet have major technical flaws.

Muddaser said:

batsmen with more than 1000 runs and 40 plus ave

Karachi
1. Hanif.
2.Zaheer.
3.Miandad.
4.Qasim Umer.
5.Shoaib Mohammad
6.Yunus Khan.
7.Saeed Anwer

Other parts of the country.
1.Inzimam.
2.Yusuf

Really neat article on the Pak vs New Zees rivalry:

If only these two could spin it a bit more. Then, Pakistan-New Zealand contests would be among the most eagerly-awaited of the modern age. But with Australia loudly moaning over the quality of their opponents (few did it in 2006-07 when England were walloped), India trying to become the No. 1 side in the world, and South Africa doing a fair impersonation of England during their post-2005 Ashes slide, nobody seems much fussed about a genuinely competitive Test battle. Even news agencies can't be bothered.

Yet few rivalries - too intense a description maybe, but what else? - have been as fantastic to follow as this over the last two decades.

From here.

azfar wali said:
Dosen't really matter if the players are from Punjab or wherever cause most people here are Pakistanis not Punjabis or sindhis, so tyhey support team Pakistan not Team Punjab ( which you seem to do)

Not really brother, I was replying the guy complaining about no Karachi players.

I couldnt care less where they are from.

As long as we play the best 11 I have no problems. Doesnt matter if the entire 11 is from Punjab, Karachi or Waziristan, All equal to me.

qaiser said:
batsmen with more than 1000 runs and 40 plus ave

Karachi
1. Hanif.
2.Zaheer.
3.Miandad.
4.Qasim Umer.
5.Shoaib Mohammad
6.Yunus Khan.
7.Saeed Anwer

Other parts of the country.
1.Inzimam.
2.Yusuf

The present brother the present.

luvthegame said:

oh yaaaawn

Muddaser said:
I really dont care either. All Eleven could be from Karachi or even Waziristan.

They're Pakistani and thats all that matters.

Fast bowlers have always been better from Punjab cause of Genetics maybe. Even batsmen are technically cause of sporting conditions in the North of Pakistan.

Karachi wickets are just too dead, its no wonder Fawad and Khurram score hundreds yet have major technical flaws.

fawad scored a century in Sri Lanka on his debut so yeah he knows how to bat on difficult pitches as well.
Karachi has produced great batsman like Zaheer Abbas , javed Miandad, Saeed Anwar, Younis Khan and alot of others so its not like Karachi hasn't produced great cricketers

Muddaser said:
Not really brother, I was replying the guy complaining about no Karachi players.

I couldnt care less where they are from.

As long as we play the best 11 I have no problems. Doesnt matter if the entire 11 is from Punjab, Karachi or Waziristan, All equal to me.

Exactly :14: thats what all of us PAKISTANI'S should think like.

I also wish the best players to be selected irrespective of their region, relationships which is not happening.

azfar wali said:
fawad scored a century in Sri Lanka on his debut so yeah he knows how to bat on difficult pitches as well.
Karachi has produced great batsman like Zaheer Abbas , javed Miandad, Saeed Anwar, Younis Khan and alot of others so its not like Karachi hasn't produced great cricketers

I'm talking about the present.

No one said Karachi hasnt produced great players. They just arent producing any special talents right now. God knows why, could be the conditions.

Fawad and Khurram arent good enough right now. Sarfraz is a great talent but unfortunately has to contend with Akmal.

That leaves Hasan Raza who isnt in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back