3. Lara
4. Kallis
5. Nathan Astle
6. Eoin Morgan
8. Pat Cummins
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Umar Gul
11. Sir Alec Bedser

Given the options left, can't even take random names from 'E'.

E for [MENTION=56933]ElRaja[/MENTION] :srt

man, i want a random letter instead.....

after much deliberation, i welcome to the team a guy who i had never heard of before but had the distinction of being a wisden cricketer of the year in 1952, Eric Rowan outscored among others, hutton, compton and nourse on his final tour of england.

a nuggety middle order batsmen he was known for batting without gloves or even a box on occasions, and once decided to sit in the middle of the pitch and wait for the crowd to be quiet when they barracked him for scoring slowly, something that would never be a problem in my team, where he would fit in perfectly in the middle order.

Basically, he got inspired from [MENTION=146232]jeeteshssaxena[/MENTION] :))

Last edited:
man, i want a random letter instead.....

after much deliberation, i welcome to the team a guy who i had never heard of before but had the distinction of being a wisden cricketer of the year in 1952, Eric Rowan outscored among others, hutton, compton and nourse on his final tour of england.

a nuggety middle order batsmen he was known for batting without gloves or even a box on occasions, and once decided to sit in the middle of the pitch and wait for the crowd to be quiet when they barracked him for scoring slowly, something that would never be a problem in my team, where he would fit in perfectly in the middle order.

A Google search gives Erick Rowan, the American Professional Wrestler.

Bhai, kaha kaha se late ho in sab ko..

There are still a couple of decent players with N. Though I've never heard of them before until digging deeper recently :afridi

I have to admit that this thread has been absolute gold, the last week or so rummaging about learning of these players has been rather special. Brilliant.

the land of cricinfo database, lol

lolol, sorry, i was thinking abt chatfield but how could i ignore a dude who batted without a box, no team can pass on balls like that.

Looks like rowan wasn’t very fond of new balls :afridi

I pick Warne with a 'R' at the end.

Up next, [MENTION=8973]mohaN[/MENTION]

My team till now:-

1. Rohit Sharma
2. David Warner
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Greg Chappell
5. Allan Border
6. Andy Flower (wkt)
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Hedley Verity
11. Neil Adcock

Bring on Green tops, we will face it. Rich Had is there!

Last edited:
Bring on Green tops

Rohit Sharma be like

thik-hai-bhai-ab-mein-chalta-hun-rajpal-Yadav-hera-pheri-meme-template-768x255.jpg

whats the order for this, the first few people will have a pretty bid advantage i think
[MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION] needs to confirm at the end of 11 selection rounds. Provisionally it is supposed to be in reverse order, but we need to reassess once all teams have been picked.

[MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION]

I know [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] mentioned that we should continue with the same order for the picks for the 12th round, i.e., the 12th round would be the current order in reverse - because the last person (Thunderbolt14) gets the last pick in the 11th round, so that's the fair thing to do.

However, since this isn't an open draft and it's the letters that determine picks rather than where you are in the draft, I think it's better if we sort the last round randomly. As [MENTION=56933]ElRaja[/MENTION] mentioned, it can be quite advantageous.

For example, [MENTION=151679]Forward Defensive Push[/MENTION] had the first pick in the draft and would have the last pick in the 12th round. But he got a E, N, and U in his first 5 rounds due to which his team has some fairly mediocre players.

I know [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] mentioned that we should continue with the same order for the picks for the 12th round, i.e., the 12th round would be the current order in reverse - because the last person (Thunderbolt14) gets the last pick in the 11th round, so that's the fair thing to do.

However, since this isn't an open draft and it's the letters that determine picks rather than where you are in the draft, I think it's better if we sort the last round randomly. As [MENTION=56933]ElRaja[/MENTION] mentioned, it can be quite advantageous.

For example, [MENTION=151679]Forward Defensive Push[/MENTION] had the first pick in the draft and would have the last pick in the 12th round. But he got a E, N, and U in his first 5 rounds due to which his team has some fairly mediocre players.

Fully agreed, which is why I initially proposed random lots to determine the order for that round.

[MENTION=140824]

To be honest, it's his own fault he selected an absolute dud like Eoin Morgan instead of someone like Eric Rowan. :genius

[MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION] I'd appreciate it if you can make a selection in the next 15 minutes, I'll put off going to bed.

I think it's fair to say that [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION] has the best batting lineup in the draft and [MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] has the best bowling attack unless he again goes back to Binny in the 12th round :yk

[MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION]

2 excellent middle order bats left with 'R'. Think you'd probably wanna give 'N' to [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] rather than an 'R' :usman

[MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION]

2 excellent middle order bats left with 'R'. Think you'd probably wanna give 'N' to [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] rather than an 'R' :usman
[MENTION=139595]Ab Fan[/MENTION] has forced me to keep thinking about a Binny. Probably unfair on [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] though if I go down that route.

I think it's fair to say that [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION] has the best batting lineup in the draft and [MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] has the best bowling attack unless he again goes back to Binny in the 12th round :yk

[MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] has an ATG bowling attack. Lillee, Marshall and Warne are part of most of the All time test XI's

[MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION] I'd appreciate it if you can make a selection in the next 15 minutes, I'll put off going to bed.

Apologies. Loadshedding in my area from 10-11pm... worst possible time, I know.

At least this proves that I am in Karachi, if anyone had any doubts. Let me see the next pick now...

Extremely underrated as a Test opener. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves in the longest format.

totally agree, but its partially his fault, left the game at 33, when hafeez types playing till 40, tough to get the credit he deserves when he only scored 4000 runs when he should have scored 8000, and he was still in form, his last 2000 runs came at abt 50.

Apologies. Loadshedding in my area from 10-11pm... worst possible time, I know.

At least this proves that I am in Karachi, if anyone had any doubts. Let me see the next pick now...

No worries, I understand and sympathize.

I am in Shanghai, so 3 hours ahead. Unfortunately, I am also a cricket nut who has trouble sleeping so will make the next pick now.

I am regrettably a sucker for a good romance, even if it does originate in Western Australia.

Rodney Marsh

"caught Marsh bowled Lillee" appeared in a scorebook 95 times, and I can't in good conscience break the link between those two.

Marsh will also, of course, ensure that my side is an absolute nightmare to play against for any batting side, if it wasn't already.

Just now need Kim Hughes to complete the set.

[MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] next with 'h'.

Last edited:

My solution was that the joker pick could be anybody irrespective of letter. No matter how you sort it, if you do another sequence based on first and last letter, you will end up with the same problems. Defeats the purpose entirely.

Joker pick should be allowed to be anybody, as long as it is a like for like pick. This way, everyone gets to plug one hole in their lineup. And it also maintains the integrity and fairness of letting me go first as I go last in the draft overall.

Thunderstorm XI is excited to pick Harold Larwood!

A Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1927, he had earlier made his debut for England after getting Jack Hobbs out twice in the same season in first class cricket. Hobbs, an influential voice with the selectors, helped fast track the young talent. The faith in him was duly rewarded after an initially shaky start—he was a key reason for England’s Ashes win in 1926, their first in 14 years since 1912.

Larwood’s most famous series and well known to many fans of the game was the “bodyline” Ashes Series of 1932-33—the masterful main exponent of bodyline, leg theory bowling, Larwood acted as a dynamite destructive force to curtail Bradman and lead England to a 4-1 series win with 33 wickets, the most in the series. This included a dynamite 10 wickets in the first test, and 7 in the third (the most famous bodyline test, where Larwood fractured Bert Oldfield’s skull).

Notably, he also scored 98 in the fifth test after being promoted to number 4 as nightwatchman — the highest score by a nightwatchman at the time. To this day, it remains the 8th best nightwatchman score of all time.

An innovator, fierce, and testament to a truly never-back-down attitude. We are excited to have him on board!

Random letter generator gives 'K' [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION].

My solution was that the joker pick could be anybody irrespective of letter. No matter how you sort it, if you do another sequence based on first and last letter, you will end up with the same problems. Defeats the purpose entirely.

Joker pick should be allowed to be anybody, as long as it is a like for like pick. This way, everyone gets to plug one hole in their lineup. And it also maintains the integrity and fairness of letting me go first as I go last in the draft overall.

Nah, you misunderstood my point. Everyone will be able to pick anybody, but we have to choose who gets to go first, second, third, etc.

The point was regarding the order of the picks; in this draft, the placement in the draft itself doesn't make a difference as it does in normal drafts without restrictions. Here, everyone has to pick according to the letter and some people can be disadvantaged despite having early picks, and vice versa.

If we continue with the current rounds as they are then you get the first pick and [MENTION=151679]Forward Defensive Push[/MENTION] gets the last. Your team is comparatively much stronger than his, as it stands.

Of course, the guys who make the first couple of picks will be at an advantage due to some GOATs being available. The point is that we should just randomize the picks once again for transparency rather than going with the current order (forward or reverse) since the first few picks will definitely have an advantage.

Feels like I am being pedantic now :usman

Nah, you misunderstood my point. Everyone will be able to pick anybody, but we have to choose who gets to go first, second, third, etc.

The point was regarding the order of the picks; in this draft, the placement in the draft itself doesn't make a difference as it does in normal drafts without restrictions. Here, everyone has to pick according to the letter and some people can be disadvantaged despite having early picks, and vice versa.

If we continue with the current rounds as they are then you get the first pick and [MENTION=151679]Forward Defensive Push[/MENTION] gets the last. Your team is comparatively much stronger than his, as it stands.

Of course, the guys who make the first couple of picks will be at an advantage due to some GOATs being available. The point is that we should just randomize the picks once again for transparency rather than going with the current order (forward or reverse) since the first few picks will definitely have an advantage.

Feels like I am being pedantic now :usman

I understand your point — I’m not overtly concerned tbvh, I participate in these drafts because it’s great fun selecting some of my heroes and the banter is fantastic :afridi I don’t mind randomizing the selection

Thunderstorm XI

1. Barry Richards
2. Eddie Barlow
3. Rohan Kanhai
4. Ken Barrington
5. Sir Everton Weekes
6. Wasim Akram
8. Harold Larwood
9. Ryan Harris
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Fred Trueman

Completely agree, as it is a huge advantage being early

Back