Test Draft #4: Initials

i need an opener, so will have to be Navjot Sidhu

[MENTION=146232]jeeteshssaxena[/MENTION] gets a "u"

I believe there are several options from 'A' for different roles and honestly, they all are very tempting ones.

I still haven't picked any of my openers or even a spinner but I just can't miss out on not picking one of the most influential Australian cricketers as well as one of the greatest test captains of all-time, <B>ALLAN BORDER</B>. He will bat at 4 in my team and will lead the side.

[MENTION=23911]Moh@n[/MENTION], you get 'R'.

Last edited:
Time for big fish, [MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] :afridi

This is tougher than I thought.

However, I need a reliable opener and one can't go far wrong with:

Sunil Gavaskar

Next: [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION]

Just to clarify, this is a test draft right? That’s what I’ve been doing so far but I just realized this was never clarified.

Wait I just read the name of the thread :facepalm:

there was a chemistry teacher in my college days, he use to often lament "i spend the whole of the night to tell you about romeo and juliet story, and now you ask me was romeo the boy or the girl."

there was a chemistry teacher in my college days, he use to often lament "i spend the whole of the night to tell you about romeo and juliet story, and now you ask me was romeo the boy or the girl."

I still made my team according to tests so it’s okay :)))

Thunderstorm XI invites Ryan Harris to play with lightning. We are impressed by his ferocity, seam, and lion heart.

Thunderstorm XI

2. Eddie Barlow
4. Sir Everton Weekes
8. Ryan Harris
9. Nathan Lyon
11. Fred Trueman

Can someone do a random letter generator? Praying I get my first decent letter

Shoot me down lads if this isn't a good idea, but I have been thinking of the possibility of including a joker selection once all teams have been selected. Basically it gives posters a chance to redeem one of their picks, which might have been blighted by an errant letter choice such as E or N or U.

I envisage it working the same way as a concussion substitute i.e. the replacement needs to be roughly like for like: you can replace one of your players with a player not selected in the draft by any of the participants, but that replacement needs to primarily have the same role as the original player.

For example, if I have to substitute Hussain, I can replace him with Jacques Kallis (if he remains unselected at the end of the 11 selection rounds) as his principal role was to bat at 3 or 4, like Hussain. However, I can't substitute in Imran Khan or Ian Botham for Hussain just because they batted at 3 on a few occasions while their sides were chasing a declaration.

This will allow posters to remain engaged with the draft, especially as I foresee a situation where some of us are forced to select a few average cricketers at first-class level, let alone test cricket. It will also improve the competitiveness of the draft.

Shoot me down lads if this isn't a good idea, but I have been thinking of the possibility of including a joker selection once all teams have been selected. Basically it gives posters a chance to redeem one of their picks, which might have been blighted by an errant letter choice such as E or N or U.

I envisage it working the same way as a concussion substitute i.e. the replacement needs to be roughly like for like: you can replace one of your players with a player not selected in the draft by any of the participants, but that replacement needs to primarily have the same role as the original player.

For example, if I have to substitute Hussain, I can replace him with Jacques Kallis (if he remains unselected at the end of the 11 selection rounds) as his principal role was to bat at 3 or 4, like Hussain. However, I can't substitute in Imran Khan or Ian Botham for Hussain just because they batted at 3 on a few occasions while their sides were chasing a declaration.

This will allow posters to remain engaged with the draft, especially as I foresee a situation where some of us are forced to select a few average cricketers at first-class level, let alone test cricket. It will also improve the competitiveness of the draft.

Don't mind this.

Have a look [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION] and let us know please.

Please take your pick soon [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION]. Otherwise I might end up causing a rather lengthy delay... :usman

The owners of Thunderstorm XI are in overwhelming tears of joy, with the chance to invite the amazing Barry Richards. We are quite excited to give a gift to our good friend [MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] as well in the hopes that he pays the favor back at some point. :afridi

The owners of Thunderstorm XI are in overwhelming tears of joy, with the chance to invite the amazing Barry Richards. We are quite excited to give a gift to our good friend [MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] as well in the hopes that he pays the favor back at some point :afridi.

Should have stuck with Bazid :sanga

Thunderstorm XI

1. Barry Richards
2. Eddie Barlow
4. Sir Everton Weekes
8. Ryan Harris
9. Nathan Lyon
11. Fred Trueman

[MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] to finally pick Stuart Binny :afridi

We are quite excited to give a gift to our good friend [MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] as well in the hopes that he pays the favor back at some point. :afridi

Ta mate.

I'll select an all-rounder for my team:

Shaun Pollock

[MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION], a good range of options with 'k' next.

[MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] to finally pick Stuart Binny :afridi

It was between him and Pollock for the all-rounder slot, but I doubt even the formidable Mayanti Langer would be prevailed upon to select the former in that competition.

Thank you [MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION].

Keith Miller

Reasonable R for [MENTION=23911]Moh@n[/MENTION].

It was between him and Pollock for the all-rounder slot, but I doubt even the formidable Mayanti Langer would be prevailed upon to select the former in that competition.

Lol :)))

Btw, u still left out on a more desirable pick than Shaun Pollock although deliberately it seems :yk

Lol :)))

Btw, u still left out on a more desirable pick than Shaun Pollock although deliberately it seems :yk

If you're thinking of an Australian batsman with an idiosyncratic batting stance, then yes it was deliberate. If it's someone else, then I have probably forgotten that player.

I just went with Pollock as I prefer to have my bowling options locked in.

Don't mind this.

Have a look [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION] and let us know please.

Please take your pick soon [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION]. Otherwise I might end up causing a rather lengthy delay... :usman

Decent idea. The main issue is how to allocate the order of the picks for this round as that could be critical

Decent idea. The main issue is how to allocate the order of the picks for this round as that could be critical

Disagree. It should continue in the same order in reverse snake draft as I will be the last pick and any other ordering would be incredibly unfair.

In other words I will get first pick and [MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] gets second pick and so on

I will pick Hedley Verity, the greatest left arm spin bowler of all-time.

My Team:-

3. Ricky Ponting
4. Allan Border(c)
5. Andy Flower
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Hedley Verity
11. Neil Adcock

It was between an opener and a spin bowler, couldn't have left out on a spin bowler for too late so Verity it is.

Disagree. It should continue in the same order in reverse snake draft as I will be the last pick and any other ordering would be incredibly unfair.

In other words I will get first pick and [MENTION=140824]Last Monetarist[/MENTION] gets second pick and so on

Good point, just realised there were 11 rounds so reversing makes sense - even no of round sin total

Are u kidding me.
I get a y after getting a u.

Dear Brother,

Very good pick there. 'Y' is a very exciting letter to make your pick. You can even pick the guy in your avatar :afridi. The only concern with 'Y' is it is exciting as long as the stock is available :))

Anyways, good pick. Yousuf Youhana was his known name till he turned himself into Mohammad Yousuf. So, certainly that version should be considered. Btw, are you going to miss on Messi :messi

Last edited:
well thats good enough for me, gives me a chance to bring in my second opener, sir Alistair Cook.

im gonna be travelling, so i pbly wont be back online for another few hours, so might as well keep it going...

[MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION] your up next

Yep probably not allowed, view post #27, def known a M.Yousuf now. Are people OK redoing rounds or not, happy to just leave it

I understand some may have reservations but I personally don't mind. He was, after all, known as Yousuf Youhana for the majority of his career. It's a tricky one.

How do we want to decide it. We could put a note on the vote that only his career accomplishments as Y.Y count, still would probs be better than Singh

Btw, as far as i know mohd yousuf's name is yousuf and surname is mohammed. :yk
Same with mohammad shami

Yep probably not allowed, view post #27, def known a M.Yousuf now. Are people OK redoing rounds or not, happy to just leave it

I also think its not fair, if people aren't okay with that i pick yuvraj singh.

I understand some may have reservations but I personally don't mind. He was, after all, known as Yousuf Youhana for the majority of his career. It's a tricky one.

On reflection, I think it's fine to continue. Yousuf is an exception somewhat, not like we'd find many other players that changed their names during the middle of their careers.

On reflection, I think it's fine to continue. Yousuf is an exception somewhat, not like we'd find many other players that changed their names during the middle of their careers.

Not just changed their names, but also Yousuf was his first name his entire life. Yousuf Youhana. Even after he changed to Mohammad Yousuf, he still went by Yousuf.

So it is definitely an exception and I think it should be okay.

We can do what [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION] is saying and only count his accomplishments as YY

Haha, Yousuf Youhana lol.. That's the only way he could have got picked :))

Alright I welcome the greatest English bowler of all time Sir Alec Bedser into my team

Time for a random letter. Let it be 'V' :ds

'J' [MENTION=151679]Forward Defensive Push[/MENTION]

Alright, I choose arguably the greatest allrounder of all time even if at the expense of throwing away an easy letter for you...

That's right.. Jacques Kallis

That makes it -

3. Brian Lara
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Nathan Astle
6. Eoin Morgan
8. Pat Cummins
10. Alec Bedser

Alright, I choose arguably the greatest allrounder of all time even if at the expense of throwing away an easy letter for you...

That's right.. Jacques Kallis

That makes it -

3. Brian Lara
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Nathan Astle
6. Eoin Morgan
8. Pat Cummins
10. Alec Bedser

Where does Umar Gul slot in :gul

Adding some reverse swing to the line up is Umar Gul!

3. Brian Lara
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Nathan Astle
6. Eoin Morgan
8. Pat Cummins
9. Umar Gul
10. Alec Bedser

I pick SPD Smith
On my phone so tell me if he is already picked
1. Hutton
2. Sutcliffe
3. Sachin
4. Smith
5. Compton
7. Gilchrist
10. Rabada

I pick SPD Smith
1. Hutton
2. Sutcliffe
3. Sachin
4. Smith
5. Compton
7. Gilchrist
10. Rabada

Nah, I passed up the opportunity last time around, so you're free to pick him.

I pick SPD Smith
1. Hutton
2. Sutcliffe
3. Sachin
4. Smith
5. Compton
7. Gilchrist
10. Rabada

Good to go.

Don't think Sachin will be too pleased to be batting at #3 :srt

[MENTION=56933]ElRaja[/MENTION] up next with H.

[MENTION=151679]Forward Defensive Push[/MENTION] you’ve been too easy on [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION], 2 S’s, an L H and Adam Gilchrist :)))

Looks like all the cricketers starting with letter 's' have been picked by the two blokes.

Sachin Tendulkar
Shane Warne
Steve Smith
Sunil Gavaskar

Last edited:
gonna go for Hashan Tillekaratne, and hes gonna be my keeper.

my teams full of absolute grinders, lol, they may not win but they are deffo gonna be hard to beat

1. Cook
2. Sidhu
3. Dravid
4. -
5. Steve Waugh *
6. Hashan Tillekratne+
7. -
8. -
9. -
10. Trent Boult
11. Derek Underwood

so e for [MENTION=146232]jeeteshssaxena[/MENTION]

gonna go for Hashan Tillekaratne, and hes gonna be my keeper.

my teams full of absolute grinders, lol, they may not win but they are deffo gonna be hard to beat

1. Cook
2. Sidhu
3. Dravid
4. -
5. Steve Waugh *
6. Hashan Tillekratne+
7. -
8. -
9. -
10. Trent Boult
11. Derek Underwood

so e for [MENTION=146232]jeeteshssaxena[/MENTION]