USA (159/3) & (18/1) defeat Pakistan (159/7) & (13/1) by 5 runs in a super over thriller to cause the first major upset of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The 11th match of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 is set to feature a thrilling encounter between the USA and Pakistan. The match is slated to take place at the Grand Prairie Cricket Stadium in Dallas today, June 6, starting at 03:30 PM GMT.

The USA, having already participated in a match in this tournament, will be eager to strengthen its standing at the top of the leaderboard. On the other hand, this will be the inaugural match for Pakistan in this tournament. With a recent track record of two victories and three defeats in their last five matches, Pakistan’s performance has been somewhat inconsistent. They are, however, determined to start their campaign on a high note and build momentum.

sgvJtVe.png

Squads:

United States
Squad: Steven Taylor, Monank Patel(w/c), Andries Gous, Aaron Jones, Corey Anderson, Nitish Kumar, Harmeet Singh, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Jasdeep Singh, Ali Khan, Saurabh Netravalkar, Milind Kumar, Nosthush Kenjige, Nisarg Patel, Shayan Jahangir

Pakistan Squad: Babar Azam(c), Saim Ayub, Mohammad Rizwan(w), Fakhar Zaman, Iftikhar Ahmed, Azam Khan, Shadab Khan, Imad Wasim, Haris Rauf, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah, Mohammad Amir, Abbas Afridi, Usman Khan, Abrar Ahmed

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.​

I like to see this team for today's game:

babar
rizwan
usman
fakhar
Iftikhar
Saim
Shadab
Abrar
Shaheen
Haris
Amir

Although I wold leave Shadab out for Azam and the 5th bowler quota can be completed but iffi and saim. But shadab will play so azam is not here.

I know azam is also gonna play instead of Saim. SO....

I like to see this team for today's game:

babar
rizwan
usman
fakhar
Iftikhar
Saim
Shadab
Abrar
Shaheen
Haris
Amir

Although I wold leave Shadab out for Azam and the 5th bowler quota can be completed but iffi and saim. But shadab will play so azam is not here.

I know azam is also gonna play instead of Saim. SO....
Heard Azam khan (Moin's request) and Shadab (Yarr of Babar) will play all the matches.

I suspect Pakistan will go with this XI today.

1. Babar (C)
2. Rizwan
3. Usman
4. Fakhar
5. Shadab
6. Azam
7. Iftikhar
8. Shaheen
9. Naseem / Abrar
10. Amir
11. Haris

1. Babar (C)
2. Rizwan
3. Usman
4. Fakhar
5. Shadab
6. Azam
7. Iftikhar
8. Shaheen
9. Naseem / Abrar
10. Amir
11. Haris
I hope babar isn't stupid enough to go with 4 pacers in dallas. Though he should go with 4 pacers in New York.

1. Babar (C)
2. Rizwan
3. Usman
4. Fakhar
5. Shadab
6. Azam
7. Iftikhar
8. Shaheen
9. Naseem / Abrar
10. Amir
11. Haris
Abrar has to play. He should. He is going to be vital moving forward in the event. Shadab is not in good form so sooner or later, he has to be benched.

Imad is not here for this game so no better chance to play Abrar.

Nothing is impossible with these jokers and the dressing room in disarray.
Pakistan's group has the strongest minnows. Only other minnow that's strong is Scotland.

Uganda, Nambia, Oman are weaklings.

USA and Canada are not weak teams that people think,

USA, their not your casual office workers lol, their all b to c string players who moved from their home country but have played professional cricket and are best buddies with alot of A string players like Jones is friends with archer, Anderson knows the entire NZ team.

As for Canada, Canada is a bit weaker as they don't have b string superstars but the Canadian league has given them experiment. All these boys are proper local cricketers, Their your gully boys that'll just get dogwalked.

Infact Ireland atm is ironically the weakest, because Ireland doesn't have any bowlers and besides balbrinie they don't have any batters. Harry trector their only other batter is woefully out of form atm

Pakistan's group has the strongest minnows. Only other minnow that's strong is Scotland.

Uganda, Nambia, Oman are weaklings.

USA and Canada are not weak teams that people think,

USA, their not your casual office workers lol, their all b to c string players who moved from their home country but have played professional cricket and are best buddies with alot of A string players like Jones is friends with archer, Anderson knows the entire NZ team.

As for Canada, Canada is a bit weaker as they don't have b string superstars but the Canadian league has given them experiment. All these boys are proper local cricketers, Their your gully boys that'll just get dogwalked.

Infact Ireland atm is ironically the weakest, because Ireland doesn't have any bowlers and besides balbrinie they don't have any batters. Harry trector their only other batter is woefully out of form atm
Not only the strongest Minnows but Pakistan itself is incapable of stringing 3 wins together regardless of the quality of opposition

Not only the strongest Minnows but Pakistan itself is incapable of stringing 3 wins together regardless of the quality of opposition
For some reason my gut instinct is telling me Pakistan will make it to super 8's. They'll get eliminated in S8 though

1.Baber A
2.Ridwan M
3.Usman K
4.Fakhar Z
5.Iftikhar A
6.Shadab K
7.Imad W
8.Abbas A
9.Shaheen S
10.Harris S
11.Abrar A

Crazy I know

Monank Patel (USA Captain) pre-match Press Conference - 5th June 2024

[Reporter:]

The start was good, the way you were going. How many people are looking forward to you match against Pakistan? And the Pakistan team, of course - you are a tough team, a tough opponent. So how do you rate them and which Pakistan player do you think is very important to focus on and control?

[Monank Patel:]

The first game definitely helped us. We got good momentum. We will make sure that we carry forward that momentum in the next game. Pakistan is a good side, is a well experienced side and we will make sure that we play the cricket we have been playing. Pakistan has good experienced bowlers. We will focus on Mohd Amir, who is an experienced Pakistani bowler, we will try to tackle him well.

Very good performance against Bangladesh. Considering the Pakistan's unpredictable character, do you fancy your chances?

I mean, we won't focus much on the Pakistan side. We want to focus on our own cricket. And we want to make sure that we continue playing the way we've been playing. And you know, it's T20. Once we have good 30-40 minutes on the field, you never know. We can take the game away.

USA team is like a World XI. You gather people from different countries and playing together here. How charming it is?

I mean, we've been playing since last 5-6 years. Few players have been part of the team. It's a diverse city, and it's good to have players all around the world. And end of the day, we are playing for one team, which is called USA. And there's no difference when we play for Team USA.

I want to know that recent past you played outstanding, you won against Bangladesh, then the first match against Canada, you won. What's the motivation behind the team that you are as a team and the players who are from the other part of the countries and both are together and what's the motivation behind the team?

I mean before we started the World Cup you know we had a vision to qualify in the Super 8s and we want to focus one game at a time and we had a great start against Canada and we would like to continue it and playing against top 10 teams in the world gives us a chance to showcase our talent and make sure we play our best against Pakistan.

World Cup is going on here in America. So, do you think this World Cup will be a popular game of cricket here in USA?

I mean it's been growing since last three years. Cricket has been growing since the pandemic and it's growing every year and this World Cup will give one more opportunity for the cricketing fans and players to promote the cricket and make sure that it goes at another level.

Tomorrow, you have a match against Pakistan, what do you think that it's more possible for you guys to beat Pakistan at Dallas?

I mean, yeah, right now, whatever I say doesn't make any difference. You need to play the best cricket on particular day and whoever plays the best cricket is going to win the game.

How do you rate Babar Azam and how important is his wicket for you? If you get Babar’s wicket quickly, how much will it be beneficial? If Babar plays long, how much problem will it be?

Babar is a great batsman in all the formats. He is the main player and he is the captain. If he plays long inning, we have seen in the past also. So yeah, his wicket will be really important for us and we all know his stats. He's been very consistent in T20s.

Babar
Fakhar
Rizwan
Usman
Saim
Imad
Iftikhar
Amir
Shaheen
Rauf
Abrar

This should be the line up anything else like shadab and azam khan in the lineup will be self destruction mode

1.Baber A
2.Ridwan M
3.Usman K
4.Fakhar Z
5.Iftikhar A
6.Shadab K
7.Imad W
8.Abbas A
9.Shaheen S
10.Harris S
11.Abrar A

Crazy I know
Babar
Fakhar
Rizwan
Usman
Saim
Imad
Iftikhar
Amir
Shaheen
Rauf
Abrar

This should be the line up anything else like shadab and azam khan in the lineup will be self destruction mode
Imad is injured and is not going to play today's game...

Babar
Fakhar
Rizwan
Usman
Saim
Imad
Iftikhar
Amir
Shaheen
Rauf
Abrar

Bro, if you are going to pick Saim then it’s better to let him open…and let these RizBar fans have Fakhar at 4.

Putting Saim at 5 just because there is no belief in Azam won’t happen. They won’t ever do that.

Fakhar
Saim
Babar
Rizwan
Usman Khan
Ifti
Shadab Khan
Mo. Amir
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Haris Rauf
Abrar Ahmed

Clutching at straws but I think this is the best possible line up potentially.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not open with Azam khan - what’s there to loose…..

If he gets hold of a few and gives Pak 20 odd from 8 balls it’s job done

If Pakistan team selection is done by merit I wish Pakistan all the best. (y) If selection is done by nepotism and friends, I wish USA all the best especially if the obese unfit son of a former cricketer gets picked. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Does Kristen has any say in selecting playing 11 or he is doing same thing like Micky? Sitting there, doing nothing and take the blame for Babar's and his parchis failure and get sacked.
So far Kristen looks non-existent. Its all all-in-all Babar's show.
i saw him the other day cant remember england or ireland game everybody was ignoring him especially Babar which really annoyed me

Fakhar
Saim
Babar
Rizwan
Usman Khan
Ifti
Shadab Khan
Mo. Amir
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Haris Rauf
Abrar Ahmed

The most sensible line up

But we know talking sense here is looked down upon

What’s there to lose? That would be the end of Rizwan and Babar’s so called ‘importance’ to the team if he blasts a team out in the powerplay.

That would potentially lead to civil war in Pakistan

Fakhar
Saim
Babar
Rizwan
Usman Khan
Ifti
Shadab Khan
Mo. Amir
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Haris Rauf
Abrar Ahmed

I also think only way to replace Azam is if Usman agrees to play in the middle order and then we also get Saim up top.

I also think only way to replace Azam is if Usman agrees to play in the middle order and then we also get Saim up top.
Doull pointed it out during the ILT20 that the franchise who had Usman Khan (Gulf Giants I think) were batting him too low at number 5. They all view him as a top order batter

Does Kristen has any say in selecting playing 11 or he is doing same thing like Micky? Sitting there, doing nothing and take the blame for Babar's and his parchis failure and get sacked.
So far Kristen looks non-existent. Its all all-in-all Babar's show.
That's how Kristen operates. He let Dhoni do his thing and provided support rather than running things for him in 2011

Doull pointed it out during the ILT20 that the franchise who had Usman Khan (Gulf Giants I think) were batting him too low at number 5. They all view him as a top order batter
That's the dilemma. We have too many top order batters. Everyone wants to bat up top. Even in domestic Cricket. The best performers in PSL in middle - lower order were likes of Azam and Iftikhar followed by maybe Irfan Niazi. The management said bye to Irfan and now all we have is Iftikhar who is not performing as well as he should and Azam who is becoming an enigma in World Cricket.

The way he paces his innings is like a top order batter come to think of it.

If Rizwan was willing to be more flexible with his batting position, it would be an option, I did my best to place him as high as I possibly could go

That's the dilemma. We have too many top order batters. Everyone wants to bat up top. Even in domestic Cricket. The best performers in PSL in middle - lower order were likes of Azam and Iftikhar followed by maybe Irfan Niazi. The management said bye to Irfan and now all we have is Iftikhar who is not performing as well as he should and Azam who is becoming an enigma in World Cricket.
We don’t have too many top orders

We have 2 or 3 proper top orders bats and 2 middle order players parading as top order batsmen. The team is unbalanced when those two occupy 2/3 top order positions.

The dilemma is the fans and analysts who keep saying “we have too many top order batsmen” when giving a pass to two middle order players as top order batsmen

We don’t have too many top orders

We have 2 or 3 proper top orders bats and 2 middle order players parading as top order batsmen. The team is unbalanced when those two occupy 2/3 top order positions.

The dilemma is the fans and analysts who keep saying “we have too many top order batsmen” when giving a pass to two middle order players as top order batsmen
I don't believe Babar and Rizwan are middle order batters. They either play in top 3 or they go out.

The way he paces his innings is like a top order batter come to think of it.

If Rizwan was willing to be more flexible with his batting position, it would be an option, I did my best to place him as high as I possibly could go
Rizwan (Matt Damon) will be willing if Babar (Jude Law) would bat one ahead of him anywhere in the order. He is Babar’s talented Mr Ripley. He wants to be Babar

As per media reports, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi has issued directives to secure a new hotel for the national team’s stay in New York, ensuring their accommodation is more convenient for their upcoming matches.

Naqvi intervened after expressing dissatisfaction with the initial arrangements to the International Cricket Council (ICC). The original hotel was a 90-minute drive from the stadium, while the newly booked hotel is just a five-minute drive away.

The decision follows feedback from other teams; the Indian cricket team is staying just 10 minutes from the ground, and both South Africa and Sri Lanka have previously expressed concerns about their accommodations. Ensuring the Pakistan team’s comfort and optimal performance remains a priority for Naqvi.

I don't believe Babar and Rizwan are middle order batters. They either play in top 3 or they go out.
Tbf I somewhat agree with you. Babar started off as an opening batsmen in under 19, and rizwan opened in t20 domestic as well.

But you can only make a case for Babar, since he's clearly a pace player and he's poorer from overs 7-15 then 1-6, His best overs are 1-6 and 16-20, showcasing he's clearly mostly a pace player.

But you can't make a case for rizwan, Rizwan is a hack and the issue with these limited players is that their always a liability one way or another. Rizwan is AlrightE in chasing against weaker teams, because target is insight so he can pace himself, but with no target In sight then he gets exposed since he can't wait for the bowler to bowl in the legside arc. He needs to go bang bang and get the highest possible score, its here where his offside limited ability gets exposed.

Rizwan (Matt Damon) will be willing if Babar (Jude Law) would bat one ahead of him anywhere in the order. He is Babar’s talented Mr Ripley. He wants to be Babar

I just finished Ripley on Netflix, you’ve taken it to another level with the Babar and Rizwan comparison, now I need to rewatch it 😂 that’s like the most apt analogy of the two, and who shall Marge be? I reckon Naseem Shah 😁

That's how Kristen operates. He let Dhoni do his thing and provided support rather than running things for him in 2011
Dhoni was a genius where Babar is a dull captain. Babar needs to be deal harshly to get some positive results. Otherwise you can use a signboard instead of a coach.

i saw him the other day cant remember england or ireland game everybody was ignoring him especially Babar which really annoyed me
Problem is PCB gave him all the power to make him arrogant. He will not willing to learn or listen. He already think himself as a greatest batsman and captain without lifting any trophy or significant batting performance against top teams

As per media reports, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi has issued directives to secure a new hotel for the national team’s stay in New York, ensuring their accommodation is more convenient for their upcoming matches.

Naqvi intervened after expressing dissatisfaction with the initial arrangements to the International Cricket Council (ICC). The original hotel was a 90-minute drive from the stadium, while the newly booked hotel is just a five-minute drive away.

The decision follows feedback from other teams; the Indian cricket team is staying just 10 minutes from the ground, and both South Africa and Sri Lanka have previously expressed concerns about their accommodations. Ensuring the Pakistan team’s comfort and optimal performance remains a priority for Naqvi.
Better late then never but this should of been checked earlier.

I just finished Ripley on Netflix, you’ve taken it to another level with the Babar and Rizwan comparison, now I need to rewatch it 😂 that’s like the most apt analogy of the two, and who shall Marge be? I reckon Naseem Shah 😁
Khubsurat Fast bowler Naseem would be a great Gwyneth Paltrow Marge,

But symbolically in this context, Fakhar Zaman is Marge. The loving, calm and nice person who actually has no sway or power over Babar…and is the most comforting to those who Babar doesn’t pay attention to.

This is how they have treated Fakhar.

Khubsurat Fast bowler Naseem would be a great Gwyneth Paltrow Marge,

But symbolically in this context, Fakhar Zaman is Marge. The loving, calm and nice person who actually has no sway or power over Babar…and is the most comforting to those who Babar doesn’t pay attention to.

This is how they have treated Fakhar.
Bro it's because actual real heroes get pushed aside for frauds. You see this happen all the time with celebrities and ceo's of tech companies as well.

Exploitation of innocent and hard working people. My only issue is fans pretending as if Misbah, Rizwan and babar are good people. They got no clue what honest, loyal and shariff entails.

Bro it's because actual real heroes get pushed aside for frauds. You see this happen all the time with celebrities and ceo's of tech companies as well.

Exploitation of innocent and hard working people. My only issue is fans pretending as if Misbah, Rizwan and babar are good people. They got no clue what honest, loyal and shariff entails.
Fakhar reminds me of VVS Laxman post his captaincy stint. Doesn't complain, doesn't interfere in team politics. He is totally focused on doing his best in opportunities he gets. I don't think any cricketer is different from any corporate employee. They all are trying to get best deal for themselves often taking credit for others hardwork and also sabotaging competition at times.

We need to win this one for Babar's sake. We can't let Brian Masaba take the record for the most T20 wins as a captain.

Masaba is just one win away from snatching the title of the best T20 captain in the world from Babar Azam.

Andy Flower thinks Pakistan should play 4 pacers even today against USA. Maybe Abrar won't play after all.

We need to win this one for Babar's sake. We can't let Brian Masaba take the record for the most T20 wins as a captain.

Masaba is just one win away from snatching the title of the best T20 captain in the world from Babar Azam.
In which universe?

Pakistan will give such a beating to the USA, they won’t know where to hide. It’s one thing beating a fellow minnow, but to compete for the whole game against a giant of the game is too far fetched. Will be a borefest mostly.

Pakistan will give such a beating to the USA, they won’t know where to hide. It’s one thing beating a fellow minnow, but to compete for the whole game against a giant of the game is too far fetched. Will be a borefest mostly.
No such thing as a bore fest from Pakistan... Either going to be a closely contested game or Pakistan may collapse... Hoping against hope that your right and Pakistan absolutely demolish USA

If he gets hold of a few and gives Pak 20 odd from 8 balls it’s job done
His problem is pace, I'd rather Iftikhar open and let him go berserk.

Iftikhar weak against spin, whilst Azam against pace.

Some of the odds on this match are great value.

I have seen this team upfront and personal for 3 days, and 2 things are clear - they don't care about their fitness, and they are never smiling!

Weather Update:

Dallas, Texas (Thursday): Good news for cricket fans! The weather forecast for today's T20 World Cup match between Pakistan and the USA at Grand Prairie Stadium is looking clear and sunny.

After earlier disruptions due to rain, Pakistan's team will be relieved to see a sunny day with temperatures expected to reach 35°C (95°F).

Some of the odds on this match are great value.

I have seen this team upfront and personal for 3 days, and 2 things are clear - they don't care about their fitness, and they are never smiling!
You should only care about your two golden boys. The rest shouldn’t concern you.

Lol

They don’t. Now what?
Good, proving what we knew all along.

Babar and Rizwan are hear to stay, and there is nothing you and your circus of undercover Indian haters can do about it.

Now bore off and never quote me again, I have asked you before and I am not interested in speaking with pretentious teenagers.

USA has a great chance to create an upset. They have a decent bowling attack. If ali Khan and netravalkar can nip out babar and rizwan it's game on.. the bowling discipline was good. Tge 1st extra was conceded in the 18th over

Also the USA team is not full of imports. In the last game the 11 players were 4 USA born players, 3 ind origin, 2 SA origin, 1 pak origin , 1 nz.

Good, proving what we knew all along.

Babar and Rizwan are hear to stay, and there is nothing you and your circus of undercover Indian haters can do about it.

Now bore off and never quote me again, I have asked you before and I am not interested in speaking with pretentious teenagers.
So only Indians don’t want Babar and Rizwan to open? Who told you that? Imran Khan? :ROFLMAO:

Another one sided match loading. Can't wait for the first round to get over. Not that I expect much in round 2. But these.matches look like low grade exhibition matches.

I really hope some of the non performing players start performing and I hope Pakistan doesn't make a mess of this match.

USA should’ve announced their playing XI before the toss just to spook our players.

USA should’ve announced their playing XI before the toss just to spook our players.

Another one sided match loading. Can't wait for the first round to get over. Not that I expect much in round 2. But these.matches look like low grade exhibition matches.
Think you are selling USA here. A couple of good performances and who knows- its t20 after all

Last edited by a moderator:
My match prediction:
Pakistan- 160/5
Rizwan 10 (21)
Babar 5(9)
Usman 58 (36)
Fakhar 11 (10)
Azam 53 (27)
Iftikhar 10 (17)

USA lose by 10 runs with Shadab giving at least 40 from his 4

Rizwan
Saim
Babar
Fakhar
Usman Khan
Iftikhar
Shadab
Shaheen
Rauf
Amir
Abrar

If they play Azam khan and Shadab khan then there is a high chance they will lose today.

My team would be

Babar
Rizwan
Saim
Fakhar
Usman
Ifthikar
Shaheen
Amir
Naseem
Haris rauf
Abrar