Australia vs New Zealand [Super 8s/Match 21] - Updates

Australia team
AC Gilchrist, ML Hayden, RT Ponting, MJ Clarke, A Symonds, MEK Hussey, SR Watson, GB Hogg, NW Bracken, SW Tait, GD McGrath

New Zealand team
PG Fulton, SP Fleming, RL Taylor, SB Styris, CD McMillan, BB McCullum, DL Vettori, JEC Franklin, MR Gillespie, JS Patel, MJ Mason

Toss Ricky Ponting opts to bat.

Cmon Gilly. Need some fireworks from you. You have disappointed me this WC.

Not happy. I was hoping to watch Shane Bond. I suppose the only Kiwis that will be somewhat watchable now are Taylor and McCullum

Mason to bowl to Gilchrist. Watson back in and Bond not playing today

GONE! Hayden charges down the pitch and wacks it over midwicket for four. Marvellous shot!

Shayan said:
Big news is that NZ have rested Bond!

Nz going the Sri Lanka way.. well,

Aus have won the match,,,,, without bond Nz lacks a match winner...

Sean said:
GONE! Hayden charges down the pitch and wacks it over midwicket for four. Marvellous shot!

these daye we are seeing a different Hayden.. I wish watching Shoaib Akhar bowling to Hayden.... last time Shoaib made Hayden going into bad form....

Franklin has got Gilly out quite alot in his career.
1st ball.
**** HE IS OUT! NO!!!!!!
ARGH! Cmon!
Gilly trying to cut that and he gets a top edge. Straight down 3rd mans throat.
Gilly goes for 1.
Aussies 1/7

Short and down legside to punter. Flicked finely for four.
Next ball he beats Ponting with a little bit of off cut.

Absolute class. What a ripper! Short from Mason and Ponting as quick as a bullet, on the back foot and pulls the ball through midwicket.

Can't believe Gilchrist has gone :(

needs to do well with gloves to get points for my fantasy cricket now!

Not timed to perfection....
but he got onto it well enough to get it to the boundary.

Now that is timed to perfection! Great cover drive. Down on one knee and BANG!

"New Zealand's team spokesman John Durning told AFP that Bond, who'd been vomiting on Thursday night, was being seen by doctors on Friday and was unlikely to come to the ground"

Damn.

That ripped. Bad shot from Punter. So very nearly bowled him.
Next ball is 4. Ponting trying to slog sweep Patel for six. He only succeedsd in hitting a four.

a good over by Patel but a six by Ponting
Aus 32-1 after 5 overs
edit: it was a four. Rameez got too excited

Last edited:
Bang! The trademark Hayden walk! He walks down and slaps it through the covers for four.
Nice!

Asad Rauf - that must have hurt!!! Hayden smashes one on his wrist!!! Would have been 4 otherwise.

The umpire is hurt. Hayden has really thumped that straight down the ground. It has hit Asad Rauf. Oww. Very sore. He'll have a nice bruise for that.

Hayden just hit Asad Rauf. maybe broke his watch. well a four was saved
Aus 52-1

That is a brilliant cover drive. Straight through the ball and a brilliant follow through. 4 more!

Aussies are absolutely dominating right now. Hayden and Ponting both going psycho

Yet another no ball. And yet another 4.
Ponting is going bang bang bang!

BANG! OUTTA HERE!
Hayden didn't even middle that! Half tracker and hit the the ground for six.
I also have that duck that they showed. :D

a big six by Hayden hit straight down
Ponting 30 Hayden 38
Aus 76-1 after 9 overs
Hayden's 16th six this WC

Was Asad Rauf just sleeping then?I know he wasnt but it jsut looked weird. It looked like he was sleeping before the ball was bowled.

I wonder if Hussey will come litle early today to get some batting before the semis

Sean said:
Was Asad Rauf just sleeping then?I know he wasnt but it jsut looked weird. It looked like he was sleeping before the ball was bowled.
that was his powerful concentration

Aus 77-1 after 10 @ 7.7

77-1 off 10 overs.

This is subdued 'carnage'. So easy for Aus.

12thMan said:
I wonder if Hussey will come litle early today to get some batting before the semis
He won't. Clarke and Roy will still bat in their normal positions.

Now Kiwis are protecting Bond.Aussies are playing like"Don't even think abt beating us".

Zzzzzzzzzz, Need some excitement. I wanna sleep but I'm watching you Australia! You should be proud of me for sacrificing my sleep!

Ponting 39 (41) Hayden 44 (47)
Aus 91-1 after 14 overs @ 6.5
2 powerplays still available

Finally a boundary! Let's celebrate!
The camerawork was **** once again.

Why hasn't Aamir Sohail bashed NZ team yet? If this was Pakistan playing he would be going Paksitan should do this or that and how bad the planning/execution has been and what changes should be made, why Bond and Oram have been rested etc. Now he is just talking about the dominant team just has to take singles and wait for powerplays. What commentators say makes a difference when people form opinions and post here because an expert said so

Ponting's 50 comes up. THis guy is in the form of his life (over a period of about 2 years).
His 6th WC 50.
His 10th 50 V NZ
His 62nd overall.

Ponting's 50 comes up. THis guy is in the form of his life (over a period of about 2 years).
he has been in form for about 5 years now. I don't know about ODIs but he has four 1000 runs in a year 4 times I think in 5 years. He just needs 2-3 more good years and he will break the most runs and centuries records in tests

Ponting 57(60) Hayden 58(63) -- approximate numbers
Aus 127-1 after 20 overs
last 10 overs 50 runs

12thMan said:
he has been in form for about 5 years now. I don't know about ODIs but he has four 1000 runs in a year 4 times I think in 5 years. He just needs 2-3 more good years and he will break the most runs and centuries records in tests
Nah. He had a lean patch in 03 when he got the Test captaincy. He didnt score a century for a year in both forms.

OUT! Taylor takes a great reflex catch to get rid of the Punter.
A very good innings comes to an end.
2/144
He goes for 66.

Four to Hayden. Smashed over wide long on and it goes 1 bounce and four.

The overate is really slow. It has taken 2 hours to bowl 25 overs!

Cover drive for four for Pup.
Back to back to back fours. Calm down now. I see alot of batsmen lose concentration and get out.

3 fours in a row for Pup that over. 14 from the over.

2/169

Clarke 18
Hayden 75

This New Zealand back up bowling is terrible!

4 runs. Vettori beat him in flight but Hayden went through with the shot.
1 bounce and 4.

Another four. Driven down the ground all the way for four.
85 now.

Back