Chief Minister XI vs Chairman PCB XI l Practice Match | Lahore | 3/10/13 | Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azlan Khan

T20I Debutant
Runs
1st Innings:

Chief Minister XI - 90/10.

Chairman PCB XI - 134/3, lead by 44.

Azhar ali with 50 , should be taken as opener with Khurram and shahzad as 3rd opener

What a waste of time. If they cant score on this wicket when will they learn to score.

We need to throw both Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq out as they just kill the game.

Need to open with azhar ali just because he can take the shine off the ball that way protecting the middle order.

Definitely need atleast 2 attacking batsmen going at strike rates of 30 gets you no where in modern cricket.

^ So boring lol

These guys score too slowly to make an impact.

Looks like Pakistan will play the same batting line up.

0-2.

No wonder we dont play a lot of test cricket with player like misbah, azhar, asad why would any one waste there time to see them block for the whole day. Purely bad promotion of a format which is as it is struggling to garner viewership

maybe they were given instructions to not worry about runs and just get some batting practice in to come back in form. Because i know they are slow batsmen but this is just ridiculous on such a flat pitch.

Need to open with azhar ali just because he can take the shine off the ball that way protecting the middle order.

Definitely need atleast 2 attacking batsmen going at strike rates of 30 gets you no where in modern cricket.

I dont buy the shine philosophy you should be able to play the ball on its merit and not based on shine. The fact is bot Azhar and Shafiq are limited in there stroke play and cant do much.

I dont buy the shine philosophy you should be able to play the ball on its merit and not based on shine. The fact is bot Azhar and Shafiq are limited in there stroke play and cant do much.

yeah your right when you got batsmen like amla and devilliers. pak clearly doesnt have anyone of that quality right now.

I dont know if you watched the south africa series, but once pak saw off the new ball it became much much easier to bat for them. The problem was in the process they were already like 5 wickets down. Then the second new ball came and cleaned up the tail. So its not really a philosophy its a fact.

Commentators talking about the lifeless pitches. Todays pitch is one of them. Junaid khan is trying to ball short and Adnan akmal is taking then around his ankles. Why dont they make fast bouncy pitches so our players can have more practise. Then we wonder how they perform overseas. I guess pitches in UAE will be similar.

One thing is pretty evident that Babar is way more threatening than Abdul Rehman and should be able to bump him out.

When Umar Akmal comes in they'll probably declare so he doesn't get to bat..

Scorecard at Lunch Break

Attachments

• asdasdasd.jpg
    asdasdasd.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 232
Day 2, Lunch - PCB XI 197/3 after 77 overs. Lead by 107 runs. Azhar Ali 80 (188) & Asad Shafiq 46 (146).

Hope asad scores a century. Such a wonderful player

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Asad every passing day is becoming more and more of Azhar Ali...not a good sign..he's losing that charisma associated with his batting.

Asad every passing day is becoming more and more of Azhar Ali...not a good sign..he's losing that charisma associated with his batting.

What do you expect?

He is fighting for a place in the side, its either score runs or sit at home.

Undue pressure on him TBH if good performances against a minnow nation aren't considered then why are bad performances, especially when you have been the best Batsmen for the 2 preceding tours.

Now all azhar ali, asad and hafeez deserve a place in playing test eleven. Long live PCB.

People infected with Akmalitis are having a hard time digesting the fact that Asad is scoring some runs.

When Umar Akmal comes in they'll probably declare so he doesn't get to bat..

If Umar is selected, he'd bat at 6 and this is exactly where he's batting in this match. What do you want? Azhar and Asad should throw their wickets away so that lord Umar can get a dig?

Azhar will probably retire after his hundred anyway.

Support the team please. Your fan boyism is disgusting.

Umar is an outstanding player and our best batting talent. I've always supported him but not at the expense of other players.

If Umar is selected, he'd bat at 6 and this is exactly where he's batting in this match. What do you want? Azhar and Asad should throw their wickets away so that lord Umar can get a dig?

Azhar will probably retire after his hundred anyway.

Support the team please. Your fan boyism is disgusting.

Umar is an outstanding player and our best batting talent. I've always supported him but not at the expense of other players.

If he is your best batsman then whats the point of sening him at no 6 to bat with the tail. He should bat at 4.

Asad does not look in form at all, though he has scored some runs on.the track which is complete phatta. These two guys were in first eleven against zimbabwe and flopped miserably. This should not be a measure of selecting players but the pwrformances in the test team.

If he is your best batsman then whats the point of sening him at no 6 to bat with the tail. He should bat at 4.

All successful test teams today have an aggressor in the lower order to accelerate. Umar should play that role for us.

Prior, de Villiers, Dhoni etc do it for their respective teams. They are all wicketkeepers and sadly ours aren't good enough with the bat so Umar should play that role. He's an ideal number 6/7.

This is what we need AA and shafiq getting back into form before the test series.

Asad does not look in form at all, though he has scored some runs on.the track which is complete phatta. These two guys were in first eleven against zimbabwe and flopped miserably. This should not be a measure of selecting players but the pwrformances in the test team.

There's exactly a one month gap between our last test and the next one.
One month is a long time for someone to regain form.

This is an ideal trial to see how much certain players are in form and good for their confidence as well.

It would be nice if they could play Asad, Azar and Umar Akmal in the same side, but it doesn't seem possible. My Batting Lineup for the first test would be..
1.)Ahmed Shehzad (if he can score more in the warm ups he should be considered, he's looked good )
2.)Azhar Ali
3.)Younis Khan
4.)Azhar Ali
5.)Misbah ul Haq
6.)Asad Shafiq/Umar Akmal (depending on performances)
7.)Adnan Akmal
8.)Zulfiqar Babar
9.)Saeed Ajmal
10.)Junaid Khan
11.)Mohammad Irfan

Last edited:
It would be nice if they could play Asad, Azar and Umar Akmal in the same side, but it doesn't seem possible. My Batting Lineup for the first test would be..
1.)Ahmed Shehzad (if he can score more in the warm ups he should be considered, he's looked good )
2.)Azhar Ali
3.)Younis Khan
4.)Azhar Ali
5.)Misbah ul Haq
6.)Asad Shafiq/Umar Akmal (depending on performances)
7.)Adnan Akmal
8.)Zulfiqar Babar
9.)Saeed Ajmal
10.)Junaid Khan
11.)Mohammad Irfan
Is Azhar Ali so good that you would play him twice??

Is Azhar Ali so good that you would play him twice??

Whooops hahahah no wonder there's no room for Umar Akmal!

It would be nice if they could play Asad, Azar and Umar Akmal in the same side. My Batting Lineup for the first test would be..
2.)Azhar Ali
3.)Younis Khan
4.)Misbah ul Haq
5.)Asad Shafiq
6.)Umar Akmal
7.)Adnan Akmal
8.)Zulfiqar Babar
9.)Saeed Ajmal
10.)Junaid Khan
11.)Mohammad Irfan

Rain has stopped but the ground is wet... match hopefully to start within 1.30 hours.

Mamoon_;61320I7 said:

This is an ideal trial to see how much certain players are in form and good for their confidence as well.

I hope they perform in the test team but onus ienon the selectors to at least give new guys exposure against the top teams. Rahat ali looked awful in all his spell and did not bowl a single wicket taking delivery and same is the case with wahab riaz. Abdur rehman bowled well though. I fail to see how could this match be the criterion of selcting players. Should have at least given a wicket where there is aomething for the bowlers as well.
Zulfiqar did not need any assistance from the pitch , he was kind of decieving the batsmen in air. Lovely stufffrom him.

I have seen you post this same arguement several times here. If a player can regain his form in one month surely he can also lose it in 2 weeks (when the Tests start) so this Logic does not make sense.

If Mohammd Hafeez had scored a ton here, by your Logic he would be an Automatic selection for the SA series since he has regained his form. But what about his last competitive serieses? He flopped in real matches so you can't pick a player performing in a 3 day match where winning/losing don't matter and you won't be in a real preassure situations.

Whooops hahahah no wonder there's no room for Umar Akmal!

It would be nice if they could play Asad, Azar and Umar Akmal in the same side. My Batting Lineup for the first test would be..
2.)Azhar Ali
3.)Younis Khan
4.)Misbah ul Haq
5.)Asad Shafiq
6.)Umar Akmal
7.)Adnan Akmal
8.)Zulfiqar Babar
9.)Saeed Ajmal
10.)Junaid Khan
11.)Mohammad Irfan
I think it would be harsh to drop Khurram Manzoor after only 2 test matches. He should be given a proper opportunity. I'm still not convinced by him, but he does deserve to be given time.

Personally, it baffles me why Taufeeq Umar has been overlooked?? He was originally withdrawn from the South Africa series earlier this year due to injury and since then he hasn't been recalled. I would choose him over any other opener at the minute because he out of everyone didn't deserve to be overlooked)...but he isn't part of the probables so i can't select him

Umar Akmal needs to be brought back into the team because he is a player that can single handedly take a session away from any team and also as we all know he has immense talent. I hope he has learned from his mistakes and doesn't throw his wicket away. I would ideally like to play him as the wicketkeeper too, as no other wicketkeeper from pakistan can bat effectivtively or consistently but in the UAE with spinning wickets I feel a full time keeper is needed.

Hence, my team would be

Khurram Manzoor
Umar Amin
Azhar Ali
Younis Khan
Misbah Ul Haq
Umar Akmal
Adnan Akmal
Abdur Rehman/Zulfiqar Babar
Saeed Ajmal
Mohammed Irfan/Rahat Ali
Junaid Khan

I think it would be harsh to drop Khurram Manzoor after only 2 test matches. He should be given a proper opportunity. I'm still not convinced by him, but he does deserve to be given time.

Personally, it baffles me why Taufeeq Umar has been overlooked?? He was originally withdrawn from the South Africa series earlier this year due to injury and since then he hasn't been recalled. I would choose him over any other opener at the minute because he out of everyone didn't deserve to be overlooked)...but he isn't part of the probables so i can't select him

Umar Akmal needs to be brought back into the team because he is a player that can single handedly take a session away from any team and also as we all know he has immense talent. I hope he has learned from his mistakes and doesn't throw his wicket away. I would ideally like to play him as the wicketkeeper too, as no other wicketkeeper from pakistan can bat effectivtively or consistently but in the UAE with spinning wickets I feel a full time keeper is needed.

Hence, my team would be

Khurram Manzoor
Umar Amin
Azhar Ali
Younis Khan
Misbah Ul Haq
Umar Akmal
Adnan Akmal
Abdur Rehman/Zulfiqar Babar
Saeed Ajmal
Mohammed Irfan/Rahat Ali
Junaid Khan

I'm not too convinced by Khurram Manzoor's technique, he as little footwork which is essential in Test Cricket, I can already see Dale Steyn picking up his style and getting him out. But they can't drop him because he had a decent performance in the 2nd test vs Zimbabwe, we'll just have to see how effective he turns out to be.

I'm not too convinced by Khurram Manzoor's technique, he as little footwork which is essential in Test Cricket, I can already see Dale Steyn picking up his style and getting him out. But they can't drop him because he had a decent performance in the 2nd test vs Zimbabwe, we'll just have to see how effective he turns out to be.
Same here, I'm not too convinced but it would be extremely unfiar to drop him now. Yep we'll see how effective he is against the like of Steyn, Morkel and Philander

I like the look of Sohaib Maqsood, I would like to see him given an opportunity for us in the tests in the near future.

Same here, I'm not too convinced but it would be extremely unfiar to drop him now. Yep we'll see how effective he is against the like of Steyn, Morkel and Philander

I like the look of Sohaib Maqsood, I would like to see him given an opportunity for us in the tests in the near future.

Yeah I agree, Maqsood looks good, he should be included in the squad, although I don't think there are any spaces for him in the playing XI for now.

I have seen you post this same arguement several times here. If a player can regain his form in one month surely he can also lose it in 2 weeks (when the Tests start) so this Logic does not make sense.

If Mohammd Hafeez had scored a ton here, by your Logic he would be an Automatic selection for the SA series since he has regained his form. But what about his last competitive serieses? He flopped in real matches so you can't pick a player performing in a 3 day match where winning/losing don't matter and you won't be in a real preassure situations.

Hafeez has been failing consistently. On the other hand, Asad has had one bad series after a long time and similarly Azhar as well.

If they fail against SA and SL as well then they should be dropped.

He didn't have a decent performance against Zimbabwe he averaged like 30 lol.

What I find strange is he was dropped making a 77 in a gritty innings in Australia in the 2nd innings where the rest failed. Surely was good for one more game.

I think he should probably get another game as I don't think Azhar will be moved up to opener, nor is Jamshed in the squad. I'd hoped Khurram had improved given his domestic form, but I see the same problems unfortunately. Khurram's got the fight and mentality for tests, but technique is very dodgy and I don't think he's one of those players that can make it work. But might as well give him a proper try now that he's come in. After all the only opener I can think that might be better than him is Jamshed. And even then, not sure Jamshed is ready. None of the rest really impress me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back