India (171/7) hand a crushing defeat to England (103) by 68 runs to secure their spot in the finals of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
India’s triumph over Australia by 24 runs in Saint Lucia on Monday marked their seventh consecutive victory in the tournament, securing their position at the top of the first Super Eight group. Consequently, they are set to compete against Jos Butter’s defending champions, who finished second in the other group, for a spot in the final in Barbados on Saturday.

The second semi-final, which will see India and England face off, is scheduled for 10.30 am on Thursday morning, June 27 (local time), at the Providence Stadium in Guyana. Notably, there will be no reserve day for this second semi-final due to the single day’s gap between this match and the final.

uSNnvn1.png

Squads:

India:
Rohit Sharma (c), Hardik Pandya, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant, Sanju Samson, Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Arshdeep Singh, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Siraj

England: Jos Buttler (c), Moeen Ali, Jofra Archer, Jonathan Bairstow, Harry Brook, Sam Curran, Ben Duckett, Tom Hartley, Will Jacks, Chris Jordan, Liam Livingstone, Adil Rashid, Phil Salt, Reece Topley, Mark Wood

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.​

Proper contest it is, India are favourites Eng are defending champions with all bases covered

A proper heavyweight clash. No underdog.

It is like Triple H (India) vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (England).

Guyana is the worst pitch in the Caribbean - a slow, low mudheap. Can offer turn for the spinners. The outfield is also fairly big so England's powerhitters might be negated.

While India played two T20Is at this ground last year, England have not played in Guyana for 14 years. ECB insist on Barmy Army friendly venues like Barbados, St Lucia, and Antigua (which's ridiculous - play where the hosts ask you to).

Thus India are favourites, but can they overcome their KO curse ?

Guyana is the worst pitch in the Caribbean - a slow, low mudheap that offers turn for the spinners. The outfield is also fairly big so England's powerhitters might be negated.

While India played two T20Is at this ground last year, England have not played in Guyana for 14 years. ECB insist on Barmy Army friendly venues like Barbados, St Lucia, and Antigua (which's ridiculous - play where the hosts ask you to).

Thus India are favourites, but can they overcome their KO curse ?

It negates England strength definitely.

England are at their best when pitches are flat.

England is definitely favourite and has some edge over india

I hope this time we can compete with them ,no Meek surrender like 2022.

Somebody post the lit bit information about ground ( Only for T20)

Who has the edges - Spinner/ pacers , Batting first or bowling first

What is par score etc .

The funniest part is Hazlewood suggested eliminating England will be in their own interest while talking about their game against Scotland. In the end ENgland qualified. Australia got eliminated. Piers Morgan wasted no time mocking Australia

What is par score etc .
There is potential wash out scenario.

Lol how come a team that has already lost 2 matches could be favorites against an unbeaten side.
It always happens to us :( We dominated WC2015 only behind NZ, we dominated WC2019, we dominated WC2023 in group stages. Going by that we are underdogs. Besides India is not a great T20 side. Has the potential to become a great T20 side. But not this side.

What is par score etc .
The avg 1st inns (completed) score in T20Is is 146. 200 has never been scored in internationals.

Before the tournament began I saw numbers that spin has a better avg and ER which's unsurprising as pitch is a slow, low mudbed that can offer turn. That's why Guyana produces crablike batsmen like Chanderpaul Sr and Jr.

Slight advantage to chasing. Teams batting second have won 9 of the 15 completed T20Is. There's an open terrace on one side so wind will again play a factor.

Conditions are almost subcontinental, and with England not playing in Guyana for 14 years, India look like the favourites.

If India wins this then congrats as this will be their first Icc victory in 11 years as sa and Afg ain't knocking them out

India’s triumph over Australia by 24 runs in Saint Lucia on Monday marked their seventh consecutive victory in the tournament, securing their position at the top of the first Super Eight group. Consequently, they are set to compete against Jos Butter’s defending champions, who finished second in the other group, for a spot in the final in Barbados on Saturday.

The second semi-final, which will see India and England face off, is scheduled for 10.30 am on Thursday morning, June 27 (local time), at the Providence Stadium in Guyana. Notably, there will be no reserve day for this second semi-final due to the single day’s gap between this match and the final.

uSNnvn1.png

Squads:

India:
Rohit Sharma (c), Hardik Pandya, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant, Sanju Samson, Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Arshdeep Singh, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Siraj

England: Jos Buttler (c), Moeen Ali, Jofra Archer, Jonathan Bairstow, Harry Brook, Sam Curran, Ben Duckett, Tom Hartley, Will Jacks, Chris Jordan, Liam Livingstone, Adil Rashid, Phil Salt, Reece Topley, Mark Wood

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.​
Intense rain predicted in that match.

It's rohit and sky or bust for Ind. If rohit flops and/or sky doesn't take off - Ind is done. A 2 man batting team. Jaiswal on the bench is a travesty. And kohli has tuk tuked all series. And Pant doesn't deserve to be in the t20 squad. he has been been mediocre in T20s for a long time though. Consumes too many dot balls. And his keeping has been subpar. Just watch the Ind Aus game. He is a monster though in ODIS and tests but has been very avergae in t20s even in ipl.

The rest of the batting is hit or miss. And jaddu is the most useless so called allrounder that has been around so long- bigglrd the mind. The bowling too is a 2 man show with bumrah and Kuldeep. Swag king pandya got hammered and jadeja as well. Ypu have to get 8 overs from pandya jadeja axar and that can be the game killer.

The only way Ind is winning this is through individual brilliance on the day or Eng having a really one off day

You can lose on that day even if you have all previous games. Each new game is different . And if it's a knock out game - then that pressure does strange things to teams.
Yeah, it's the nature of the game. But when you already have won 7 out of 7, your morale is mountain high.

India the favourites in these conditions
The most someone gets out of this wicket are spinners. Spinners get plenty of turn from this surface. Plus, the slow nature of this wicket makes it difficult for batters to time the ball properly and play their shots. Livingstone could be the trump card for England in that match, considering the nature of that pitch.

Yeah, it's the nature of the game. But when you already have won 7 out of 7, your morale is mountain high.
Doesn't work that way though.. we play club cricket here in the USA on the weekends and it's the same concept. Ind won 11 games in a row in the 23 odi wc and lost the final. SA won almost everything in 99 wc until the SF and Aud had to win 5 knock out games in a row to win that WC and they did it. That's the beauty of sport- the unpredictability, the nerves the stakes..

Agreed but still that doesn't make the opposition favorite
Eng is fave here because of their modern T20 approach. Any of their top order batsmen can cause carnage. For Ind other than rohit and sky who is capable of that? Ind is more of a conservative less risk averse type of team.

SA are favorite for this match, unless they choke it again, which is in their DNA.
This is so true lol! Haven't seen such a choking team like the SA cricket team and continuing for 25 years.. for the talent they have- can't believe the number of times they choke..and choking as in losing from totally dominant utterly winnable positions- not getting steamrolled over

Against England India has at least 50-50 chance (even with the scare of Knockouts for 10+ years now). England is not the same team now as they were 1-2 years back... Yes if they overcome England, India has definite chance in Finals. They will definitely beat South Africa unless the pitch is super-flat (Afghanistan I am sure won't cross SF, just like USA didn't progress after Super'8s).

So as of now India has at least 50% chance until Semifinals, and almost 100% chance if they reach Finals. Australia & WI were the only threats for India in these conditions... (NZ won't count here).

For England to win against India, their bowling has to click and not the popular notion of English Batsmen being aggressive (they should plan something really well against Indian Batsmen like Australia did in 23'Finals. Australia didn't win just like that without thorough planning.) Just going by motions and bazball chest-thumping won't work for England (as it works for them in Australia & English conditions. They found that out in 23'WC) NZ knocked out India in 2019 taking advantage of conditions.

It is not that India has 100% mental block in knockouts, few things worked against them and teams took advantage of it! Yes selection-debacles is one of the factor for India (intrinsic reason) to falter like this in knockouts... But I think this time even that (selection-errors) is not that big (the main issues - having Jadeja & Dube in the team, and Kohli opening is not that bigger factor compared to having DK, Vijay Shankar, KL Rahul in the playing XI...)

This is so true lol! Haven't seen such a choking team like the SA cricket team and continuing for 25 years.. for the talent they have- can't believe the number of times they choke..and choking as in losing from totally dominant utterly winnable positions- not getting steamrolled over
SA is the only team you can't predict an outcome with.

Their a side that can easily smack 250 against a top side like India on their day and in the next match lose to Nepal.

Their that inconsistent

Yeah, so true.
Unpredictable & inconsistent.
Tbf it's because of

A) The quota system, Their carrying some dead weights like Hendricks.

B) Quinton despite being a gun batter just can't hold his nerve during crunch games, That's the biggest issue with him, And various other SA greats like de villers or amla over the years.

2022 wc semifinal 2.0. LOL.
That was some phainty from England in that semi final. LOL

But india is the favourite this time around.
On that low and slow pitch india should beat them comfortably.

But if england were to stand any chance they should bat first. It's a day game batting first makes huge difference. England should bat first.

Both teams boast colossal destroyers at the top: Rohit Sharma for India and Jos Buttler for England.

This match is shaping up to be a battle between these two powerhouses. Whoever outperforms the other by a significant margin is likely to lead their team to victory.

With both players in exceptional form, the outcome of the match could hinge on which of these two stars shines the brightest on the day.

By the way, don't blame me if one or both of them flop during the semi-final! :afridi

India is also also carrying a walking wicket named Virat Kohli who could be quite useful if India has to chase a tricky total.

What is par score etc .

The avg 1st inns (completed) score in T20Is is 146. 200 has never been scored in internationals.

Before the tournament began I saw numbers that spin has a better avg and ER which's unsurprising as pitch is a slow, low mudbed that can offer turn. That's why Guyana produces crablike batsmen like Chanderpaul Sr and Jr.

Slight advantage to chasing. Teams batting second have won 9 of the 15 completed T20Is. There's an open terrace on one side so wind will again play a factor.

Conditions are almost subcontinental, and with England not playing in Guyana for 14 years, India look like the favourites.
Okay I had some time to waste so I did some analysis with Statsguru (I love that tool)

15 completed matches. 6 won by team batting first, 9 by team batting second
Average score batting first 146. Lowest (Uganda) 58, Highest 191 (England lost that one in DL situation)

To be a bit more sophisticated, we need to exclude PNG & Uganda which have played 4 games there.

In which case, 4 wins batting first, 7 batting second so still a good advantage batting second
Average first batting score 159. Lowest ~120. Highest is still England

Spin's been more economical - 6.4 Vs 7.4 for pace though Pace has a better Average (24 Vs. 26) and Strike Rate (18 Vs. 23).

I would say win the toss and bowl. Par score is of course 160 so anything below that is a bonus but even a bit over that can be chased.

India should go in with a bit of an advantage on this tacky pitch with the quality of their spinners and Bumrah. They also have slightly better 'proper batters' in Kohli and Rohit. The last time they played here (a year ago), they split a match a piece with West Indies but not much can be read into it since both teams were missing a lot of players. Surya stuck a very nice 83 off 44 though so if he has the measure of things, that'll be useful. Kuldeep looked pretty good and I expect him to be near unplayable as he's been off late.

Okay I had some time to waste so I did some analysis with Statsguru (I love that tool)

15 completed matches. 6 won by team batting first, 9 by team batting second
Average score batting first 146. Lowest (Uganda) 58, Highest 191 (England lost that one in DL situation)

To be a bit more sophisticated, we need to exclude PNG & Uganda which have played 4 games there.

In which case, 4 wins batting first, 7 batting second so still a good advantage batting second
Average first batting score 159. Lowest ~120. Highest is still England

Spin's been more economical - 6.4 Vs 7.4 for pace though Pace has a better Average (24 Vs. 26) and Strike Rate (18 Vs. 23).

I would say win the toss and bowl. Par score is of course 160 so anything below that is a bonus but even a bit over that can be chased.

India should go in with a bit of an advantage on this tacky pitch with the quality of their spinners and Bumrah. They also have slightly better 'proper batters' in Kohli and Rohit. The last time they played here (a year ago), they split a match a piece with West Indies but not much can be read into it since both teams were missing a lot of players. Surya stuck a very nice 83 off 44 though so if he has the measure of things, that'll be useful. Kuldeep looked pretty good and I expect him to be near unplayable as he's been off late.
Yes whoever win the toss will bowl first

Rain is also predicted so DLS may cames in pictures

Btw Rohit never won any important toss.

This is India's WT20 to lose now. They should beat England. This England side is shaky.

England is way more clutch than India. Their players handle big game pressure much better. This could prove to be the difference on the day.

Otherwise, considering the conditions, India definitely start as favorites.

England batting is too strong . Bumrah is the only elite bowler India possesses.

Dube, Kohli, Jadeja make this India team weak.

If we has Jaiswal, Rinku and Parag in their place, I'd give ENG 0 chance.

Rain forecast throughout the day and no reserve day. India will go thru if the match gets canned.

I wouldn't part with Kohli on a pitch like this for a dozen Rinkus.

Jaiswal for Dube is a fair call and I think with the way Jadeja's been bowling recently, I'd be willing to bet on Parag if he needed to turn his arm over an over or two. If only he'd shone a season earlier to give us a chance to try him out in a couple of games at India level.

One nore important things . In Semifinals , minimum 10 overs needed to get a result .

250 minutes extra time added for game time.

So used to knockout phaintas that I stopped caring now. Hardly care about the result, which is a good thing

Rashid is very good T20 bowler.

We needs Pant and Dube special to attack him .
He is one of the best.

Dube has been out of form the whole tournament maybe he will hit form at the right time.

It will be a cracker of a match for sure.

Match Officials named for ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 Semi-Finals

Richard Illingworth and Nitin Menon will be on the on-field umpires when Afghanistan make history by playing in their first ICC Men’s T20 World Cup semi-final.

An eight-run win against Bangladesh, via DLS, secured safe passage from the Super 8s at Australia’s expense.

They will play South Africa in Trinidad on Wednesday June 26, with a place in Saturday’s final on the line.

South Africa are looking to secure a maiden ICC Men’s T20 World Cup final appearance.

Richard Kettleborough will be the TV Umpire, with Ahsan Raza in place as Fourth Umpire.

In the second match, Chris Gaffaney and Rodney Tucker will be in the middle as India and England meet for the second tournament running in the semi-finals.

Reigning champions England booked their place in the final four with a 10-wicket win against co-hosts USA, while India put the finishing touches to a perfect Super 8s stage with a 24-run win over Australia.

Joel Wilson will be the TV Umpire for a re-run of the 2022 semi-final, which saw England come out on top, with Paul Reiffel in place as the fourth umpire in Guyana on 27 June.

Semi-finals – Match Official appointments

June 26: South Africa v Afghanistan (Trinidad)

Referee: Richie Richardson

On-field Umpires: Richard Illingworth and Nitin Menon

TV Umpire: Richard Kettleborough

Fourth Umpire: Ahsan Raza

June 27: India v England (Guyana)

Referee: Jeffrey Crowe

On-field Umpires: Chris Gaffaney and Rodney Tucker

TV Umpire: Joel Wilson

Fourth Umpire: Paul Reiffel

He is one of the best.

Dube has been out of form the whole tournament maybe he will hit form at the right time.

It will be a cracker of a match for sure.
Dube played a key role in games vs USA 31(35), BD 34(24), Aus 28(22). That's not out of form on any metric. Don't expect 50s from this Indian team. These are all.key innings

England batting and bowling aren't as invincible as they were a couple of years ago. India is the favorite. Kuldeep and Bumrah are a definite advantage for India. These 8 overs is where the game is decided and I'd back these two against Eng batters

A few days ago, Hazlewood joked about manipulating their match against Scotland to knock England out of the World Cup. And now, England are in the semis, while Australia are going home.

I wonder if Hazlewood now thinks they should have actually gone ahead with that plan.

Dube played a key role in games vs USA 31(35), BD 34(24), Aus 28(22). That's not out of form on any metric. Don't expect 50s from this Indian team. These are all.key innings
He will be useful against Maharaj and Shamsi.

England batting and bowling aren't as invincible as they were a couple of years ago. India is the favorite. Kuldeep and Bumrah are a definite advantage for India. These 8 overs is where the game is decided and I'd back these two against Eng batters

Pretty much this.

England undoubtedly have a chance of going through but they are not the England side of old, there are some transitional elements in the team, and they need to turn in a perfect performance to win this — not even 5% off the mark or they will lose.

Whereas India can probably be slightly off their best and still beat England.

The winner of this game wins the tournament IMHO.

Rain forecast throughout the day and no reserve day. India will go thru if the match gets canned.

Which is fairly ludicrous IMO. No reserve day is bad enough, but no tiebreaker beyond the head to head record makes it even worse. We all want to see a full game and the winning team in the final.

Yep. Rohit had to bat out of his skin to help us beat Australia.

That won't happen every game.

Man for man, England are too strong for us just like Australia were. We will be relying on a freakish knock/spell to beat them just like yesterday .

England start favourites for mine.

If Rohit fires - Ind will have a good score. If not its curtains. And all pressure will be on Sky. But for Eng - anyone can fire - buttler salt brook bairstow livingstone

Both teams are evenly matched and very difficult to pick, will depend on the nature of pitch toss factor,

Everyone in this england lineup are match winners and more clutch players than India.

They has won the ICC trophy so certainly they are favourite against India who were failed under immense pressure .

Rohit innings masked Ind victory and all the Ind supporters are going ecstatic. Take out his innings and Ind scored 110 in 80 balls. Pant made run a ball 15 which had a 6 and 4. In was 125-2 in 11 overs and they made 80 in 9 overs with 8 wkts remaining. Ind was 160 in 14 overs when Sky got out. So they scored 45 runs in 6 overs with 6 wkts remaining. Do you see the flaw in this?? If Rohit fails tomorrow and Sky fails as well - Ind will struggle to get to 150. Will be just like the 2023 ODI WC final. Once Rohit got out - Ind froze and batted meekly. So its Rohit/Sky or bust tomorrow for Ind

The crabhole at providence Guyana is slow and low, similar to Indian subcontinent. Strokemaking will not be as easy. India will be highly favored to win. Guyana having many East Indian desendants who are Hindus will overwhelmingly support India.

I think with two evenly matched sides and rain around, toss will be decisive. The team winning the t

Butler or bust for England. If Buttler gets going, England will go through.

Of course India should be kicking out Jadeja, Dube and Kohli from the XI but doubt if Dravid and Rohit are humble enough to admit their selections have been all wrong.

I so wish Pakistan had beat India which would have forced the change in Indian XI but I guess it is too late now. The fact that Indian team won would prevail over any logical thinking on merits of current playing XI.

No chance of a match being happening due to rain, I see India beating South Africa in the finals to win their 2nd WT20 title.

Yep. Rohit had to bat out of his skin to help us beat Australia.

That won't happen every game.

Man for man, England are too strong for us just like Australia were. We will be relying on a freakish knock/spell to beat them just like yesterday .

England start favourites for mine.

That is correct. India as a team are no match for ENG but they stand a chance based solely on a freak show from Bumrah, Kuldeep, Rohit, Pant etc.

Kohli does not count because the longer he stays at the crease, the more India's chances take a hit.

Back