New Zealand vs Pakistan | 1st ODI | Wellington | 22/01/2011 | Pak Innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesome_Username

Local Club Star
Runs
Hope it's not too early for the match thread.

Here's hoping for a good game and a Pakistan win.

Match Facts
January 22, Wellington
Start time 14:00 (01.00 GMT)

Pakistan are in a pleasantly unfamiliar position, that of beginning a series as the favourites. In their last two one-day series, they managed to stretch far stronger opponents than New Zealand - England and South Africa - to the limit, while also dealing with an unending list of controversies on the side. This time, however, they have almost no distractions; the delay in the naming of the World Cup captain is almost a non-issue for a side that is used to anarchy. They have also managed to put the spot-fixing hearings out of their mind and, instead of making a big deal about the delay in the verdict, they have shown signs of moving on.

Misbah-ul-Haq deserves some of the credit for the newfound stability. Critics questioned the side's approach when their batsmen played for a draw in the final session of the Wellington Test, led by Misbah at his obdurate best. But the fact of the matter is that Pakistan sides of earlier vintage would invariably have gone after the target, only to collapse in a heap and concede the series lead. Pakistan can do with a dose of such calmness in the one-dayers too, yet Shahid Afridi's return to the helm of affairs will offer a counterpoint. The interplay between the two men - Misbah has been named vice-captain of the ODI side - promises to form an interesting sub-plot to this series, and the results could decide who will eventually lead Pakistan in the World Cup.

New Zealand have far bigger questions to address before they can think of the big event. They haven't won an ODI in 11 successive attempts, and John Wright knows only a radical change in approach and team combination can pull his side out of the rut. With batting in the middle overs being a major source of worry, Wright has already decided to change things around - Brendon McCullum will take guard at No. 6, breaking his successful association with Jesse Ryder at the top. Jacob Oram returns to the side, while James Franklin promises stability, so New Zealand have the pedigree to turn the corner. Will they kick the losing habit in Wellington?

uff, am feeling really sleepy now....tying to hang on till the match starts.

It is currently 5.22 am in Pakistan, but I'm sure several fans are up and catching up on this important series for both sides. Interesting changes in combination for both sides - Brendon McCullum drops to No. 6 for New Zealand. Kamran Akmal returns to take the big gloves, and he will open the innings.

:)sachin)-info

Weather looks like it will hold up in Wellington. Going to be cloudy, but if there's any rain it should be light (no actual forecast for rain). Quite cold too - 18 degrees celcius - which is chilly for the middle of summer! Wellington ground is nicknamed 'cake tin' because it's very round. Boundries aren't that big (once again) and pitch is usually pretty good for batting. I'm predicting a 260 score minimum for team batting first, if they want to be competititve. Whoever wins toss should bowl first. I remember NZ easily chasing down Australia's totals a couple of years back.

pak n india shuld have mutual captains.

afridi for toss

dhoni for strategies.

Salam guys!
good toss to win, hope we'll win the match too.
Interviewer tried to put words into Afridi's mouth but this time Afridi was careful :D

Afridi wins the toss and Pakistan will bat. "It looks dry, we will look to put a decent score. There are a few things we want to try out in the series, but let's first see how things go."

Salam guys!
good toss to win, hope we'll win the match too.
Interviewer tried to put words into Afridi's mouth but this time Afridi was careful :D

are you sure it was words and not a cricket ball?!

:)))

Lets see how this works out.

The middle order seems quite defensive. Akmal should slot in between Younus and Asad Shafiq.

are you sure it was words and not a cricket ball?!

:)))

he looks realy stuffed inside due to this humiliation from PCB so we can expect an inevitable duck or absolute butchering of the NZ bowlers tonight.

Salaam my brothers.. I cant wait till the match starts uff so excited lol.. been watchin cricket for so many years but still so much excitement through every match. 15 years hoping Afridi fires. Today another day lol

Pakistan team
Kamran Akmal†, Mohammad Hafeez, Younis Khan, Asad Shafiq, Misbah-ul-Haq, Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi*, Abdul Razzaq, Abdur Rehman, Sohail Tanvir, Shoaib Akhtar

Right, the big news in the Pakistan line-up is the return of Sohail Tanvir, who delivers the ball off the wrong foot and produces amazing swing. Saeed Ajmal is not playing today - Abdur Rehman who impressed during the Tests keeps the lead spinner's spot.

Afridi wins the toss and Pakistan will bat. "It looks dry, we will look to put a decent score. There are a few things we want to try out in the series, but let's first see how things go. The boys did a great job in the Tests. Misbah is in great form.. It is tough for me, [with the captain not being named for the World Cup], but I am confident and positive."

hmmm

Let the battle for captaincy begin :kapil

Anyone spot Jahaaz :ibutt in crowd?

Salaam my brothers.. I cant wait till the match starts uff so excited lol.. been watchin cricket for so many years but still so much excitement through every match. 15 years hoping Afridi fires. Today another day lol

you are saying as if afridi never fired. come on man, he fired quite a few times in those 15 years.

CRAPINFO: Pakistan team
Kamran Akmal†, Mohammad Hafeez, Younis Khan, Asad Shafiq, Misbah-ul-Haq, Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi*, Abdul Razzaq, Abdur Rehman, Sohail Tanvir, Shoaib Akhtar

New Zealand team
JD Ryder, MJ Guptill, LRPL Taylor, SB Styris, JEC Franklin, BB McCullum†, JDP Oram, DL Vettori*, NL McCullum, TG Southee, HK Bennett

I guess the calculated gamble to play one bowler less has paid off.

absolutely no excuses now, we've won the toss, have to get 280+ at least!

Pakistan team

Lets hope Pakistan put on a minimum of 330 atleast, pitch looks good, gr8 toss to win

Its going to start at 1am UK time and am starting to feel kinda sleepy...now that I read here that Pak will bat first wanna stay up and watch till I can!

Match start karo yaar. Cant wait
I am dying to smash sixes :afridi:
I will beat you in sixes afridi chahca :razzaq
I have fixed the match :kami
:facepalm::yk

Didn't Afridi say "it's hard for me" (because the captain hasn't been named for the WC) at the toss?

I fear the worst.

lets get cracking ca't wait guys

Hope we do well.

PTV sindabad they got team line-up right!

but who is the snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back