South Africa (194/4) defeat USA (176/6) by 18 runs to clinch their first win of the Super 8 round

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The T20 World Cup 2024 is set to witness an exciting encounter as Aiden Markram’s South African team takes on the USA, led by Monank Patel, in the inaugural Super 8 match today on Wednesday.

South Africa, having topped Group D, and the USA, who secured a remarkable second-place finish in Group A behind India, have both advanced to the Super 8s, which is part of Group 2.

This match will mark the first-ever T20 International showdown between South Africa and the USA.

gqwJbJt.jpeg

Squads:

South Africa
Squad: Reeza Hendricks, Quinton de Kock(w), Aiden Markram(c), Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Tristan Stubbs, Marco Jansen, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Ottneil Baartman, Tabraiz Shamsi, Keshav Maharaj, Bjorn Fortuin, Ryan Rickelton, Gerald Coetzee

United States Squad: Shayan Jahangir, Steven Taylor, Andries Gous(w), Aaron Jones(c), Nitish Kumar, Corey Anderson, Harmeet Singh, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Jasdeep Singh, Saurabh Netravalkar, Ali Khan, Nosthush Kenjige, Monank Patel, Nisarg Patel, Milind Kumar

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited:
Same mindset: Jones’ American mantra for South Africa Super Eight challenge

With dogged self-belief and a proven blueprint for success against the world’s best, Aaron Jones and USA look ahead to a Proteas Super Eights challenge in Antigua.

USA’s Aaron Jones insists his side will carry the same mentality that helped them into the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 Super Eight stage ahead of their meeting with South Africa in Antigua on Wednesday.

Moving off home shores after a successful group stage push in Dallas, New York and Lauderhill, the Americans travel into the Caribbean now with aspirations of claiming a semi-final spot.

On the crest of the World Cup wave Jones says the camp is buoyant, with the mantra of fearless cricket he vowed before the tournament to continue.

“The boys are happy, the boys are excited to play against the best teams in the world.

“We wanted to do that (come in with energy). We've been speaking about that over the last couple of years. And here we are now. We're just going to enjoy our cricket and, as I said (before matchday one), play fearless cricket all the time.”

Headlined by a win over Pakistan with a Super Over on the scoresheet that if anything undersold their dominance, the Americans also held their nerve on opening night against North American rivals Canada, and gave tournament frontrunners India a push in New York.

Also beating Bangladesh in a bilateral series coming into the tournament, USA’s somewhat measured celebrations after their Pakistan toppling suggested more is expected, with winning against more-fancied teams merely a product of their meticulous process.

“I think it starts with the belief that we could beat anybody,” Jones continued, speaking on the side’s mentality.

“Even before the World Cup we've had a few series and obviously everybody knows we came out on top against Bangladesh, who are a really good team to be honest.

“We always believed before the World Cup that we could beat bigger teams or better teams and obviously we showed it against Pakistan. It's going to be the same mindset going into the Super Eights now.

“We want to play hard cricket and if you come out on top it's good, if you don't come out on top then we learn.”

The American success has not gone unnoticed by the best in cricket, with arguably the best observer of the game, ICC Hall of Famer and Australian legend Ricky Ponting, suggesting the match could go either way if South Africa are “five per cent off their game.”

For the Americans, a key part of more success will likely be Jones’ explosiveness with the bat, having flourished even when walking out to bat in difficult circumstances.

Striding out at 42/2 in the seventh over in a chase of 195, Jones plundered 10 sixes to make 94 not out from 40 balls, racing past the target in the 18th over. A knock of 36* (26) and a cool head in the Super Over against Pakistan followed, as the right-hander finished as the most prolific run-scorer in Group A, making 141 runs at strike rate of 160. Of those to pass 100 runs at the tournament, only Marcus Stoinis (190) and Brandon McMullen (170) boast better scoring rates.

The stretch of form belies Jones's career T20I strike rate that sat at just 105.79 before the tournament began, though the 29-year-old suggests the figure is a red herring, having been forced to play in different ways, dictated by match situations.

“I like to play the situation. I like to play for my team always.

“If it's the case I'm playing a game and we need five runs an over, I'll bat to suit. If we need 15 runs or over, I'll bat to suit.

“I don't really worry about the whole talk about strike rate and all that other stuff.”

A contingent of travelling American fans is expected, but for the fans back home, new and old, Jones hears their support in the Caribbean as they continue their dream run.

“Over the last few years, we've been talking about growing a bigger following as it relates to US cricket and I think it's growing slowly right now so we definitely thank them for sure.

"Just keep supporting us, keep following us, keep watching our games and we'll definitely put on a good show for everybody for sure."

ICC

USA can fancy themselves against SA and WI . Both are vulnerable under pressure

Can go either way tbh, USA has suprised every team so far this tournament. Lol their unbeaten.

I believe pitch is great there. So, SA are likely to crush them.

If pitch was sluggish, USA would've had a better chance.

Markram vows Proteas shift in South Africa’s T20 World Cup push

Ahead of South Africa’s first Super Eights match at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, Aiden Markram believes his side have more to give on the quest for silverware in the West Indies.

Despite an undefeated start to T20 World Cup 2024, South Africa captain Aiden Markram believes the Proteas can lift to a higher standard on a challenge for the title come late June.

Pushed by the likes of Nepal, Bangladesh and The Netherlands on their run, their victory against Sri Lanka to begin their campaign is so far their only dominant performance of note.

Batting has been tricky for the Proteas, particularly on the bowler-friendly surface of the Nassau County International Cricket Ground, where they played their first three matches before a trip to Saint Vincent in a heart-stopping win over Nepal.

Moving to Antigua, the skipper feels the side feel reinvigorated, knowing that more balanced conditions could suit the side, and finding form at the right time could well put them in the hunt.

"(We are) still striving for that perfect game,” Markram began.

“Obviously, things don't work out perfectly, but if we can start putting complete games of cricket together moving forward, give ourselves a crack to get into semi-finals … we’re just one or two good games away from doing something really special.

“The guys are still really fizzed up about that idea and the thought of doing that, (but) understanding the fact that it's three pretty big games for us to get into that position and have that opportunity.”

With the bat, only David Miller (101) has passed three figures for the tournament in the midst of the challenging conditions, fighting through spicy bowling spells, most notably fighting to 59 not out in the win over the Netherlands.

Markram (31 runs) acknowledged his slow start, but believes the move to Antigua and Super Eights cricket should bring better fortune with blade in hand.

"Conditions have been quite tough for us with the bat. Now it's a fresh start,” he added.

“If you speak as a batting group, we get the chance to get new conditions, and it will hopefully be slightly more batting friendly for us."

“Our bowlers have been really good for us and potentially bailed us out of jail once or twice. But it's understandable.”

South Africa’s opponents in the USA meanwhile have been the surprise packet at the tournament, upsetting Pakistan on the way to a second place finish in Group A move to the second phase of the tournament.

"They have been really good. A lot of people will say 'smaller nation', but they're not and they've proved that they're not anymore," Markram said.

"So, we're going to 100 per cent have to be on our best game for things to go well, but I'm excited for that challenge."

“(They have) a good seam attack, good couple of spinners and then an explosive batting order that any one of those guys on their day can make life really difficult for you.”

Don't think USA will cross 100 whether they bat first or second.

Glittering Super 8 clash awaits us.

Would have been Pakistan v South Africa today had the boys not given us the humiliation of a lifetime against freaking USA. If you are honest with yourself you would have seen that USA played better than Zimbabar and friends. USA fully deserves to be here as opposed to ZIMBABAR AND FRIENDS. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)

I expect South Africa to win. However seeing how weak their top order is and the confidence USA showed when they played, there is always that chance for USA to cause an upset.(y)

Chance for USA to create history here. But SA top order has yet not fired. If someone like klaasen gets going- it will be tough for USA. Aaron jones said he expects a lot of home support. Am super pumped for this game! Hope USA pulls off an upset today! Go USA USA USA ! 👍

These pitches are different from USA pitches. So i am not sure how good USA spin attack is. LEt us see if it is a one-sided contest because seamers can't do much here.

They can only beat BD/PAK level teams. Not sure they have it in them to beat South Africa on a bouncy Antigua surface.

Toss Update:

USA win the toss and opt to bowl first

South Africa (Playing XI): Quinton de Kock(w), Reeza Hendricks, Aiden Markram(c), Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Tristan Stubbs, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi

United States (Playing XI): Shayan Jahangir, Steven Taylor, Andries Gous(w), Aaron Jones(c), Nitish Kumar, Corey Anderson, Harmeet Singh, Jasdeep Singh, Nosthush Kenjige, Ali Khan, Saurabh Netravalkar

Toss Update:

USA win the toss and opt to bowl first

South Africa (Playing XI): Quinton de Kock(w), Reeza Hendricks, Aiden Markram(c), Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Tristan Stubbs, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi

United States (Playing XI): Shayan Jahangir, Steven Taylor, Andries Gous(w), Aaron Jones(c), Nitish Kumar, Corey Anderson, Harmeet Singh, Jasdeep Singh, Nosthush Kenjige, Ali Khan, Saurabh Netravalkar
Who let's sa bat first? Huge mistake, SA will win now.

Should have chosen to bat first. Best way to activate SA choking is having them chase an in between total. Having said that if SA runs through them when they bat first it will be moot. But it is a good gamble as against chasing against them.

Antigua has been a good chasing wicket in this tournament but the gap between these sides makes it irrelevant somewhat.

These pitches are different from USA pitches. So i am not sure how good USA spin attack is. LEt us see if it is a one-sided contest because seamers can't do much here.
American experiment is over - now hopefully we should see better pitches because they're at established international venues.

Although they prepared roads for the SL-WI Tests in 2021 and WI-ENG Test in 2022), Antigua is generally a wicket with good pace and bounce.

Just hoping rain keeps away.

Antigua has been a good chasing wicket in this tournament but the gap between these sides makes it irrelevant somewhat.
I think even on a different wicket USA would have chosen to field. When even the big teams don't know what target to set , very little an associate side would know what target to set. So they would rather prefer the opposition to decide what target to set. Don't think USA has played much outside their country.

USA should have chosen to bat first… they handed over advantage to SA… SA loose if they choked batting first

I think even on a different wicket USA would have chosen to field. When even the big teams don't know what target to set , very little an associate side would know what target to set. So they would rather prefer the opposition to decide what target to set. Don't think USA has played much outside their country.

Caribbean wickets are not unknown pitches like Nassau County.

You'll always have a fair idea of what to expect.

Some of these pitches are fresh pitches. If they miscalculate and go after a target and fall short by 50 runs then it will be a disaster. Some established nations have flunked in calculating the par total. We have seen over and over.

Some of these pitches are fresh pitches. If they miscalculate and go after a target and fall short by 50 runs then it will be a disaster. Some established nations have flunked in calculating the par total. We have seen over and over.

Regardless , places like Barbados, St. Vincent, maybe St. Lucia etc. you are better off batting first.

In this Cup at least Antigua has favoured bowling first. Early morning conditions may be hard to overcome while batting.

Things are looking dangerous for USA. SA hasn't lost a wicket in the first 2 overs. Not a good sign.

They are under-estimating netravalkar who thinks on his feet. On the fly he makes the adjustment

USA has played at North Sound before, in 2021. They defended a total once, chased a target once, have won their past two matches here. Mind you South Africa is a bit bigger target than Bermuda and Argentina!

Ali Khan , the Pakistani bowler, will always be more talented but the Indian Oracle engineer is the one who wins matches with the ball. :)

This is brainless stuff from USA bowlers. You can't bowl up and down without any plan or thinking.

Big drop off from Netravalkar and Khan to Jasdeep.

Quinton de Kock taking him apart.

Well done Pakistan for giving every team in this group a free win.

Every ball US plays, Pakistan players should feel ashamed of themselves.

Can you imagine, this guy Jasdeep got Babar LBW in Dallas

Bowling pitches reduced the gap between top teams and lower ranked teams. Batting pitch will expose the gulf typically

That was an ouch.

Should have kept Khan in there with Markram coming in.

North Sound is a slight unknown for T20s.

There's two intl. grounds in Antigua. One is Coolidge Cricket Ground (Allan Stanford's old ground), and today's venue, the Sir Viv Richards Stadium.

This is normally a Test venue. The last time Sir Viv hosted a T20I prior to this WC was a Regional Qualifier in 2021 involving likes of Panama, Belize, Argentina etc. The par score was 138. WI haven't played a T20I here since 2013 and it hasn't hosted any CPL fixtures since 2014.

bowling pitches narrow down the gap between strong & weak teams significantly but still PAK bowling touted by Chakram & co as strongest in World performed miserably imo . 64/1 in 6

Back