Pakistan v New Zealand | 1st ODI | Rawalpindi | 17th September, 2021 | Match discussion

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
An inexperienced New Zealand outfit will have a difficult prospect on their hands as they clash against Pakistan in a three-match ODI series, beginning in Rawalpindi.

Overview

Pakistan vs New Zealand, first ODI
Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium, Rawalpindi
17 September, 14:00 local

Hosting New Zealand after 18 years, Pakistan will be quietly confident of performing well against the visitors who are missing some key figures in their ranks. The Babar Azam-led side have had to face some turbulence though off the field, with head coach Misbah-ul-Haq stepping down a few days ago. But with a quality mix of spin and pace in their attack, along with some established names in the batting department, the hosts will head into the contest with the upper hand.

The inexperienced New Zealand squad failed to clinch a T20I series victory in Bangladesh but will hope that their trials and tribulations there will hold them in good stead for the tour in Pakistan. Tom Latham's side were dealt a further blow on the eve of the match, with Tom Blundell being ruled out of the series with a quad strain. Daryl Mitchell has been drafted in as his replacement.

Remember the last time

These two sides last clashed in a bilateral ODI series in 2018 in UAE. New Zealand sealed a 47-run victory in the series opener in Abu Dhabi. Pakistan then hit back with a six-wicket win at the same venue. The series ended 1-1 after the final ODI in Dubai was abandoned due to rain.

Ross Taylor was the top-scorer in the series with 166 runs while Lockie Ferguson ended as the highest wicket-taker with 11 scalps.

What they said

Usman Qadir (Pakistan spinner): "New Zealand have come to Pakistan after 18 years and it is a great opportunity for us to dominate them in our home conditions."

Doug Bracewell (New Zealand all-rounder): "Lads are excited and looking forward to it (tour to Pakistan). It was being disappointing for us here in Bangladesh but we are looking forward for Pakistan."

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

RAWALPINDI: If Babar Azam is the go-to man in Pakistan cricket these days, there seems more on the plate for his New Zealand counterpart Tom Latham. The 29-year-old son of former international Rod is a ready-made replacement in any emergency.

In Kane Williamson’s absence, Latham takes over the captaincy. He is always first to raise hand if New Zealand want someone to up the ante with power-hitting and is one guy who never shies away from keeping wickets whenever the appointed gloveman reports injured, the man from Canterbury.

With the other Tom — Blundell — ruled out of all three One-day Internationals at the Pindi Cricket Stadium, Latham will all but set to don the wicket-keeping gloves when the series begins here on Friday.

“It’s always a tough call,” the stand-in New Zealand captain told a virtual news conference on Thursday. “But that is my role in the team despite the fact that every component isn’t that easy. Whether it’s batting, keeping wickets, captaincy or whatever, I’ve enjoyed every role coming way.

“But at the same, I would love to see guys taking up the leading role too. There are a few leaders in our group. As captain I have always tried to instill the confidence side of things into the guys and trust them if they wish to make changes,” Latham, a veteran of 59 Tests, 102 ODIs and 18 T20 Internationals, asserted.

Commenting on the tour so far, the left-handed Latham was a satisfied man.

“It has been building up nicely over the past couple of weeks in Bangladesh. I felt we did quite well over there [where the hosts won the T20 rubber 3-2] and adapted quite well to the unfamiliar conditions.

“Obviously, we didn’t get the desire result [of winning the series] but still the guys enjoyed the experience in tough conditions for batting.

“Hopefully, we’ll hit the ground and running tomorrow [Friday] because adapting to the Pakistan conditions had gone well thus far. I feel the conditions are different to what we saw in Dhaka. I am expecting that the fast bowlers will make an impact in this series and the batters to get decent scores.”

Latham — who enjoys the highest winning ratio of any New Zealand captain in ODIs with 91.66 after emerging victorious in 11 out of 13 matches — said captaincy is no burden for him.

“I don’t see that as added pressure. The great thing I find about captaincy is about trying to execute my role [as the leader] in the best possible way. And not just that, it’s a responsibility which drives to do best — whether it is batting and playing my role in the middle order or leading the side and then of course, wicket-keeping!” the New Zealand skipper concluded.

Published in Dawn, September 17th, 2021

Any idea about whether this will be streamed on YouTube? Don't think there's a broadcast partner in Australia

Win the toss and choose to bowl. Dew will play a key role in later part of the day.

Apparently the ground is empty - no teams or spectators. Anyone know what is going on?

Apparently the players have been asked to stay in their rooms. I hope that at worst it's a positive COVID test, rather than something more sinister

Players been told to stay inside their rooms.

Looks like a covid case, as no one in the ground according to tweets

we could still have a t20 match if the players do get allowed

Looks like no play today!!!! Match will be abandon. Really really disappointing!!!! What a waste of time

Such a shame.. Was waiting for this. Hopefully itz covid and nothing like security situation.

Really need tp stop treating this like a zombie virus.. covid is here to stay its endemic... if one guy is positive isolate him and let the rest play... all these players have vaccines..

What was the point of the lockdowns and vaccines if we are going act like literal Pus***** when ever someone gets covid..

How did this happen? They should all be adhering to the bubbles and regulations put forth by PCB?

You can NOT stop an endemic virus... its here to stay and its everywhere... the players that got sick can rest and let the rest play on..

The bubbles, lockdowns have failed. People are just too DUMB to question their globalist leaders..

Really need tp stop treating this like a zombie virus.. covid is here to stay its endemic... if one guy is positive isolate him and let the rest play... all these players have vaccines..

What was the point of the lockdowns and vaccines if we are going act like literal Pus***** when ever someone gets covid..

Wow!

Perhaps you should say that to the faces of millions of those who've lost their loved ones to this not a zombie virus.

Second that, all this stuff is lost pointless in current situation. What a waste of time and resources.

Tired of this so-called pandemic. This has been prophesized in 2 books more than 20 years ago and Bill gates already prophesized next one. How these people know what will happen in future.

Second that, all this stuff is lost pointless in current situation. What a waste of time and resources.

They're still following the protocol because no one wants to be the first one to abandon everything and adopt a carefree attitude (kind of like the UK) but eventually everyone will get used to simply living with it.

Wow!

Perhaps you should say that to the faces of millions of those who've lost their loved ones to this not a zombie virus.

Out of billions? You sound like an child saying that. The world is not black and white. And millions die every year. What i said is practical.

Literally millions wouldve dided with out covid... use ur brain and do some research from independent sources..

They're still following the protocol because no one wants to be the first one to abandon everything and adopt a carefree attitude (kind of like the UK) but eventually everyone will get used to simply living with it.

Thats called 1984 give up ur rights and freedoms

If its covid related then thats bizarre. I know that test results can take 24 hours to come back.

How can it be an issue at the last minute? You’d think there would be some sort of proper timeframe in place.

still speculations whether security threats or covid problem. But the match has been cancelled.

This must be a security situation as there are rumours of series cancellation, and NZ players not willing to play. Apparently there are high government level talk happening at the moment. Although it could also be due to Covid situation.

Out of billions? You sound like an child saying that. The world is not black and white.And millions die every year. What i said is practical.

Literally millions wouldve dided with out covid... use ur brain and do some research from independent sources..

Are you kidding me? :facepalm

Millions die every year anyways so let's just poison that drinking water

Millions would have died without bombing that city anyway so let's just burn that place to the ground because you know.. it's convenient.

This is unfortunate. why are some pakistan media reporting about security situation? PCB should hold presser and clear it

The BLACKCAPS are abandoning their tour of Pakistan following a New Zealand government security alert reports [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] sir on his twitter account.

Media sources saying the whole tour has been canceled. Seems like the NZ government is worried about security. Really disappointing stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol NZL need to vote out that Witch... they called it off due to sercuritt concerns... which deemed okay before the tour..

This is because of covid boys.. NZL gov are globalist pawns. This is hilarious. What a dumb nation

So those that did not want Pakistani cricket to return to the country won by spreading a fake risk alert probably.
Sad Sad day for Pakistani cricket.

Millions would have died without bombing that city anyway so let's just burn that place to the ground because you know.. it's convenient.

Dont compare apples to oranges... you sound like an a sacred idiot... we already know 80% of the deaths are caused by people with pre diagnosed dieases.. who most likely gonna die in the next year or 2..

You are the literal definition of a sheeple if you think like that.. its me who should be SMH.. fact is it wasnt as bad aa everyone rhought it was 2 years ago.

CHINA is getting away scott free for thsi fiasco because governments are too busy acting like fools insread of researching china and the wuhan lab..

The world is not perfecr and its not black and white. I.e its not good or bad.. its grey..

All we did was delay herd immunity and caused deaths indirectly by locking down... suicide and mental health has increaed 10 fold. There will be repercussions to this lockdown.

Dont compare apples to oranges... you sound like an a sacred idiot... we already know 80% of the deaths are caused by people with pre diagnosed dieases.. who most likely gonna die in the next year or 2..

You are the literal definition of a sheeple if you think like that.. its me who should be SMH.. fact is it wasnt as bad aa everyone rhought it was 2 years ago.

CHINA is getting away scott free for thsi fiasco because governments are too busy acting like fools insread of researching china and the wuhan lab..

The world is not perfecr and its not black and white. I.e its not good or bad.. its grey..

All we did was delay herd immunity and caused deaths indirectly by locking down... suicide and mental health has increaed 10 fold. There will be repercussions to this lockdown.

Back